what is this more precisely

Baron

Baron

Normally I look in lights at night to see what is out there. This may fly is at Minsi Lake. Butt ugly. What stage is this. Is this a drake? It’s gray.

In Easton, at night, in the window of Pizza DORo, I see these but they’re white. Slender and pretty. Same shape insect.

Same family different mailman?

It's hard enough sometimes to ID insects even with photos and virtually impossible without pics. Do you have a photo of this bug?

It's very common to see mayflies at street lights at night and often there are many sizes and species.

If you want to learn about trout bugs give this site a try: http://www.troutnut.com/

GeneBeam I'm on there. I like it fine. I like to talk things through when its possible and confirm on sites like that.
Dave I sent a photo from my phone and it didn't attach I guess. Its pretty exciting to see to notice these things live after reading about them all winter. The learning curve will be steady.
Below:

Attachments

• IMG_6011.jpg
    IMG_6011.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 8
Kind of an ugly grey.

Black Quill

any Idea what it is?

I dunno.

It's clearly a male mayfly dun of some make and model.

It appears to have two tails but the photo is blurry. Looks like an ISO, but it's early for them, especially with the weather.

How big was it? If it was small - ie. body length under half an inch not counting tail - it could be a blue winged olive. They're common, often gray, and typically have 2 tails.

I'd guess a Hendrickson(?) but truth be told there are a lot of mayflies and sometimes even folks who are good at entomology can't nail 'em.

Blurry photo.......how dare you, lol.
it is 1/2" or longer and that surprised me. They're chunky enough as well.
So seeing these lightly all along the rocks and a few on the water, and no fish rising, What would be a good strategy to attract fish with them. What life stage?

Throw an elk hair caddis out and see if it get's taken.

will do it but should I match the size? My Elk hairs are tiny, 16 or so. Should I get bigger sizes to match this larger insect.

Back