early March Browns

Reeder

Reeder

I saw a few of these flying around tonight on Lycoming creek in Lycoming County and managed to snatch one out of the air. This is as early as I can remember seeing them.

Attachments

• WP_20170426_19_50_11_Moment.jpg
    WP_20170426_19_50_11_Moment.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 8
I went back and looked at my pics from last year when a friend and I made a trip to State College (April 29th/30th). Ironically we are heading up this weekend. There were March Browns hatching this time last year because I had the best day of dry fly fishing in my life fishing them on Penns. I was kind of confused when the guys at the Feathered Hook blog said this is the earliest they have seen some of these bugs hatch in their careers. Sulphurs and March Browns were early last year too according to the normal hatch charts.

And 3 years ago I fished an epic MB AND sulfer hatch the last week of April on Penn's. With snow flurries in the air.

I think the Global Warming effect has changed and moved al the hatches up in front of where the old charts have them documented. Until we got the snow a few weeks ago the hatches would have been even earlier.

march browns have been out for a week

Back