Yellow Creek in Mid-May & June

UncleShorty

UncleShorty

I'll be in PA @ the Yellow Creek FFO area in Bedford Co. this Spring, from about mid-May through June.

For some strange reason, (Perhaps an ID10T error on the keyboard), I can't find a hatch chart.

I know it's out there, but if someone could point me to it, or advise me what wets, nymphs and streamers I would expect to be successful with at that time I would appreciate it.

I'm working on a "Shorty's Alpo Trout Fooler" fly right now. I plan to catch a bunch of those dogfood fed fish in the Pavilion hole...

Lots of sulpurs. Size 16. nymphs, emergers, duns, spinners.

Also, tan caddis, #16.

Thank you, Troutbert.

Do you fish YC often?

UncleShorty wrote:
Thank you, Troutbert.

Do you fish YC often?

No, I'm not a "regular."

Ive been looking for a hatch chart as well...havent found anything either.

It's the same as most other central PA streams.

Hatch charts are listed in Trout Streams of PA, Mecks and Wolfs and Armstrongs PA guide books.

The FFO regulation water is all private water, FYI.

There are Green Drakes there earlier than Penns and they draw out the crowds. I agree that a Spring Creek, Little J and even Penns hatch chart will be a good substitute. You may not see everything there, but will see most. That time of year, most accurate hatch charts will show 4-5 possible hatches on any of those creeks at a given time and Yellow is bound to have most of them.

Wouldn't want to be there at that time without some green drakes and sulfurs in your box.
(EARLY HATCHES - Apr-Jun) Blue Quill, Quill Gordon, Sulfur Dun, Green Drake and Light Cahill. (LATER HATCHES) Trico, Slate Drake, and terrestials.
visitbedfordcounty.com

"The FFO regulation water is all private water, FYI."

I don't believe that is correct. I fished there last summer/fall. There is about 1.25 miles of public water outside of Loysburg. Take Rt. 26 South out of Loysburg. At the Frontier restaurant turn left on to Jack's Corner Road.

Stay on that road for 2-3 miles. Look to the right for the access road to the FFO parking lot @ cords 40.150374, -78.337174

Uncle- you are right. Poor wording on my part.

What I meant to write is that the project is on 100 private property and we are allowed to fish through the generosity of the landowners.

I find the project water probably among the most heavily fished stream in PA.

The proper terminology would be private property open to the public for the purpose of fishing. (through the generosity of the landowner)

Calling it public water is inaccurate as well unless the township, county, state or fed govt owns it.

It is important to understand that approximately 80% or more Approved Trout Water or streams under special regulation reside on Private Property. Putting those black and white signs up does not make it public...they only provide for public fishing.

It is also important to understand that with the public fishing comes PF&BC law enforcement and without the law enforcement support and stocking many of those streams would not be open to public fishing.

Uncle Shorty -

I've been making "cork balls" to match the dog chow hatch there for quite awhile now. And it's not as easy as you might think.
If you happen to be there when Fred feeds them - and the fish are in a pellet frenzy - you can have some fun.
But other than that, the fish don't seem to get too excited over one pellet fly floating down the creek

Yeah, but a guy can dream...

It was just so frustrating last Sep to toss a cricket or a beetle and have half a dozen nice rainbows head straight for it then turn at the last second.

They don't get feed as much as people think they do, I wouldnt be surpised if fred stops feeding them this year. Like others have said sulphurs, cahill and differently drakes. That time of the year it will be very very busy. I agree with acristickid about the amount of pressure that section of creek gets hit with. Also if you are going to be in that area around June 6th the yellow creek coalition will be having a pig roast, great food and lots of great raffle prizes.

Back