Spinnerfalls

Acristickid

Acristickid

The first spinnerfall I ever experienced was so heavy- there was a spent spinner on every square foot of water. ( I knew of the bug life cycle but really had not ever seen one)

I fished to a few risers in the hour before the fall (again , something I was not really expecting) just before dark on this sunny warm windless evening.

So many spinners fell and as soon as they did the fish wasted no time in rising to take them. It took me a couple fly changes to figure out what was happening in the pool that had just a few risers an hour earlier now had every fish actively working the surface.

Seems like last night and possibly tonight would be great nights for them. As I lay in bed I wondered if I was missing them.

I wonder if I will hit one on Saturday my next opportunity to get out. And there I will be watching and anxiously waiting to see if things will come together.

One can only hope...

Attachments

• the kid's dream....jpeg
    the kid's dream....jpeg
    118.2 KB · Views: 8
acristickid wrote:
Seems like last night and possibly tonight would be great nights for them. As I lay in bed I wondered if I was missing them.

Alas, you didn't miss anything where I was last night - only a handful of bugs were out and the fish wouldn't even respond to swung wets.

But there's always the upcoming weekend! Our dreams of spinner falls will continue this time of year.

Spinner falls are so much better things to have on our mind at night. Here's hoping such dreams continue as long as possible. :)

I'm ready for this weekend:
1536.jpg

you guys are lucky to have such dainty bugs-
when living in Mt.. my dream was to hit the salmon fly return perfectly
and I did one day on the Lamar river in Yellowstone- turned out to be like catching logs-jest kidding-envy you and wish you all luck.
True though that with the famous salmon fly you are better off nibbling the edges---too much of a good thing at the peak.

Jack,

I think I was with you for that epic green drake spinner fall. Also with you for my fist sulphur spinner fall on the Little J. Good memories!

I'll be dreaming of this too AcristicKid!

12-16 rusty spinner

Good luck to all fly anglers!

Back