Identification help

delta_dog

delta_dog

This past weekend I took a few pics of a larva of some sort and have no idea what it is. I was thinking caddis but not sure. The other pic is a fish that had about a dozen nymphs stuck all over him again no idea what they are either. Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 5
I cannot ever remember catching a fish that had nymphs on him. I will have to look more closely in the future. I think that is really cool to see.

The top three are all caddis larvae, the "nymphs" on the fish are probably some sort of parasite.

Tough to tell from the pic, but the ones on the fish look like ladybugs!!!

Lol.....My entomology skills are more than sub par but I'm pretty sure I could have identified a ladybug. They were nymphs of some sort they almost looked like large "size 14" midge larva. They were crawling all over several fish.

all caddis larva, fish was rooting in bottom and they got stuck on fish. seen this before. caddis have a sticky substance to help them adhere in fast water, a thread like substance. they also use it to drift its in Lafontaine's book...then again could be parasites on fish, hard to see clearly.

Back