Hexes

ryguyfi

ryguyfi

They are here. Picked this off my office today .

Pic didn't load from my phone

Attachments

• hex.jpg
    hex.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 3
I was about to post the same thread.

file 'bugz(2)' shows a "normal" hex with some freakishly large one next to it.

'bugz(3)' has a #14 cahill on the right. The hex on the left HAS to be a #4-#6 2-3xl

bugz(4) on the back of my hand and by far the largest mayfly I've ever held.

Attachments

• Copy of bugz.jpg
    Copy of bugz.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 3
  • bugz (1).jpg
    bugz (1).jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 3
  • bugz (2).jpg
    bugz (2).jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 3
  • bugz (3).jpg
    bugz (3).jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 3
  • bugz (4).jpg
    bugz (4).jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 3
I believe the size is related to sex, the bigger fly being female, at least that's the way it usually is. The paler ones are the females.
In the eastern part of the state, we don't get the early hexes, our hatch in August and Sept.

These are the days to go see the Pirates play and see everyone in the stands freaking out about the hexes. Showed a few people in my office the hex and the first thing out of several peoples mouth was... "are those stingers?" Funny what we take for granted as basic knowledge others are just clueless about.

Funny thing is I've never fished the hexes here. It's all LARGE warm water rivers around me and just haven't prioritized fishing the hatch.

I've seen them more and more over the last couple of years. I figured the larger was female but holy hell was she big. Dwarfed any other females on my car hood last night. Solid 2 5/8" body length. And I didn't even get stung. LMAO

They should be showing up sometime this week if history is any guide for me on the Ohio. Always fun to catch with my daughter.

Back