Grannoms

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
Informative article about tying flies and fishing the grannom hatch.

https://news.orvis.com/fly-fishing/american-grannom-genus-brachycentrus-springtime-gem?fbclid=IwAR1QVQyuT_-eWE4RTHop6-lWqNxnFLdiMGFgwstUTkEzCR3n1852CE-Uues

Your late

The black-bodied grannoms are over, at least on the streams I'm familiar with in my area.

The apple green-bodied grannoms hatch later than the black ones. They are probably on now.

But those don't occur in my region. They are common on the big northern freestoners and the Catskills. You'd have to check sources in those regions to see if they are on now.

Yes, the grannoms are over around here, too. Even so, this is a pretty good article.

(I added a comment in the comments section noting that I wish Fauceglia would do another book and call it "Downwings." It would make a nice companion book to his book, "Mayflies," I think.)

Rrt, if you're looking for a good caddisfly book, check out the one by Ames. It is excellent.

Steve,

Thank you.

I have it and think it is wonderful. I'd just like to see Fauceglia come up with one, too. I can use all the help I can get with fly ID, even after more than 50 years of fly-fishing.

Back