Cress Bugs

LetortAngler

LetortAngler

After fishing the cress bug with regularity throughout the years I have not found it to be a top trout producer in my box that I was hoping it would be, (sorta like the muddler minnow). I have not tried them all, mainly the more popular ones that you are always reading about such as Shenks, Humphreys, Orvis, TCO, even the waltz worm. These patterns for me have fished ok, but nothing spectacular, I have tied a few imitations with a 50/50 blend of squirrel and dark Hares Ear that have worked the best. Earlier in the month, I had been glancing through some of my old fishing books, one of my favorites being Vince Marinaros A Dry-Fly Code. In the book, one chapter he talks about the cress bug (manscellus) and how that in trying to imitate this aquatic bug would only lead to failure due to the bugs clingy nature inside the weed beds rarely finding itself in open water. He states that "any cress bug imitation would likely be mistaken for a nymph and the success that we hear about is because the pattern was fished in faster gravelly water where there was little weed growth".
I have heard of similar results regarding adding a darker material to the back of the fly such as a dark Antron, peacock, or floss, only then did that fly start to get more takes. Perhaps this is being mistaken for a mayflies darkened wingcase? Either way I find it odd that Marinaro, a former master of the Letort dissuaded readers in Trying to imitate this pattern. I have had mixed results but from what he writes, it seems to make sense.
Any thoughts or observations regarding the cress bugs effectiveness?

I tie a cressbug pattern that's similar to Shenk's, and I'm happy with it. I wonder if fishing a scud pattern could have an advantage in that because scuds can swim, an "imperfect" drift could still net results.

I used to tie them with muskrat or olive possum fur. Spin the fur, wrap and trim flat. Coat of flexament on the top.

Old lefty ties a great looking pattern...maybe he can post a pic and recipe.

I've caught lots of fish on them but they weren't a magic fly by any stretch of the imagination. I think tiny muskrat nymph matches midge larva well in the limestoners and accounted for a lot more fish.

Blending a few colors together will always work more than just taking a dubbing off a shelf. Here's a solid tip I found on accident one day. I usually do the lead then smash it flat. Dub in your dub then flatten it out. Take an old pair of scissors grab a lighter and heat the flat side of the scissors. Melt the top flat. Then it will make the dubbing melt down flat against the lead. I also do this to the bottom. Imo you really want the bug flat and to stay flat. You can use the uv but that kinda still builds it up and doesn't melt flat. I use a 410 denier black thread as spine. Optional but it makes the bug fade from light to dark when wet.

Last tip everyone sees color different. Most say they're olive. I disagree I see the bug more grey with olive tones.

Take it however you like.

I've had great luck with cress bug patterns and use 'em all the time.

I agree with 'Phishing that the colors are more toward the gray than olive spectrum (at least on the CV streams I'm familiar with). They're also large around here: I usually use a #14 and a body about half an inch in length.

Back