Bug ID -- Is this a baetis?

jbomb

jbomb

Hi all. I was hoping for some help with a bug id.

5UatrkG.jpg

I'm guessing this is a baetis.

Looks more like a Sulphur to me.

Ah, that's unexpected, but it makes sense. It's funny, I remember the body being more green when I was there, but the picture clearly shows it lighter. Thanks for the insight!

I've seen baetis hatching on spring creek in the fall that look for all the world like a small sulpher. They are a size #20.

Can't really tell the size from your picture. But if it is in that size range, I would also guess baetis.
Another clue that would help is when - time of year - did you catch it?

Pictures can be deceiving, and baetis does make more sense.

I blew up the picture, this looks like 3 tails to me, though I'm not sure of the middle one, it could be an artifact of the photography?

If it is a 3rd tail, it is definitely NOT a baetis. I'm thinking not either way.

What size was it, where and when?

Attachments

• 5UatrkG.jpg
    5UatrkG.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 6
It had two tails. I'd say it was about an 18 give or take one size. I found it on Valley in January. It was about 3:00, 50° atmospheric and 46~48° on the stream thermometer.

jbomb wrote:
It had two tails. I'd say it was about an 18 give or take one size. I found it on Valley in January. It was about 3:00, 50° atmospheric and 46~48° on the stream thermometer.

Baetis, no doubt.

Yeah, likely a Baetis, then.

Certainly a Baetid, which includes quite a number of genera that are hard to distinguish between. Baetis being the most common.

I'd say baetis it has 2 tails it's not a sulphur.

Back