wading shoes questions

salvelinus

salvelinus

Looking for a new pair of wading shoes, however my shoe size is 12 EEEE. I am currently using a pair of Simms from a few years back that were built on an extra wide last but are no longer made. They worked well but the felts are shot and they are so darn heavy when wet. Current Simms models are all listed as EEE width.

I had a pair of Chotas a long time ago and as I remember they were pretty wide, but didn't hold up too well. Anybody using them now? How is the quality?

I suppose I should be looking at the new sticky rubber soles with the cross-contamination issues these days. I am hesitant to get studs because I fish mostly small streams and I think that the studs grinding on the rocks wouldn't help being stealthy. Any experiences with plain sticky rubber soles?

Any suggestions before I waste gas driving around in my search?

This is what I would do. Call or link into the customer service line of the major outfitters. I know Orvis has one and they respond right away. Also call Korkers and explain, they hooked us up really well. Cabelas is always helpful and carry a broad array. 12 EEEE. 4 E's? Are you sure? That's a cinderblock. My older son wears a 14-15 depending on the season. My younger has 13 wides. I swear there is an extra toe somewhere that we aren't counting. Really call Cabelas I would think first. My fly fishing boy is always tightening up his laces to the point he buckles up the shoe. I'll have my younger wide footed boy try them out to gauge them and get back to you. Actually Wes my FF boy has been asked to do some tying for Gander Mountain tomorrow. They have a whole week dedicated to fishing and there will be loads of vendors. I'll ask around as well. We go from very long and narrow to big and wide in this house so this is a very familar drill. I'll let you know what I find out.

I have chotas and love them. So much so that when this pair goes (and it's been 3 year now and there is little sign of wear) I'll get another.

As far as studs. I like the chota design, because they are screws that can be replaced. With traditional studs, once there gone, you now have felt boots.

Don't be concerned with the noise clicking on the rocks. If you stuck a microphone in the water, you'd be surprised how loud it is (rocks banging into each other, riffles, other debry). What you have to worry about it vibrations. Walking along the streambank alone will scare fish because the water in the stream usually extends under the bank about 10-20 feet.
Seriousely trust me on the noise thing.

Back