vest v.s pack

BrookieBuster101

BrookieBuster101

which would you guys recommend, a new vest or a fly pack. Fishpond makes some very nice packs, and im leaning more to that side but i need another opinion.
Any incite would greatly be appreciated.
Thanks

I like a traditional vest during peak season, just because you can carry, more, fly boxes, easier, then in a pack. Most of the year I use an older Sage guide bag; if you've seen the newer fishpond shoulder strap bags same thing. It has two main, zipperd, comparments and lots of pockets inside..I can fit an assortment of boxes, camera, sunglasses, leader/tippet and much more in there..When I'm done fishing for the day just take it off and throw it on the front seat..

I prefer the shoulder strap bags over all because:

1) small compact, yet can hold a lot of gear..

2) light weight better for Summer fishing..

3) Budget and value, good vest set you back a least 100. bucks..Bag only $50-70

and more..

I forgot what they're called but if you go to fishpond I'm sure you'll find them there..If I were in the market right now I'd get the fishpond...

I still use a shortie vest. But I still haven't tried a pack yet, and should probably do so

BB,
I've been using a Fishpond Sagebrush Mesh vest for about the last 6 years or so. I bought it from Orchard View Angling, now out of business. I'm as guilty as anyone for carrying too much stuff, but I like this vest because it holds just enough and kind of forces you to prioritize. The zip down fly bench on the left chest portion of the vest is great for your "go to" flies. Nice and cool in the summer on the Yough. Good luck with what ever choice you make.
Matt

Dear brookiebuster,

As far as vest vs. chest pack goes, my answer is absolutely Yes! It's a great thing to fight about and I usually have the fight with myself once or twice a year as I try to pare down on what I carry. The pareing down never seems to happen.

Seriously, I think you need to think about where you do most of your fishing before you decide what route to take? I've been doing my trout fishing with a chest pack for well over 10 years. I use an Orvis Safe Passage pack without the hydration bladder and it still lets me carry stuff I don't know I even have with me. It's chock full of stuff and weighs far less than the vest I used to use.

I do my bass fishing with another chest pack as I've never liked wearing a vest in the Summer. I have a Williams Joseph kind of bandolier thingie that I'm going to start using for bass fishing next year. All I need is a box of Clouser's and box of poppers and some tippet but I tend to carry far more stuff than I'll ever need whenever I go fishing. I doubt I'm alone?

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

I find that the Harvean vest with chestbox offers the ultimate in sophistocated appearance. However, I've also been known to wear pink on the golf course and shoot a 130. LOL.
-Dave

Neither.

A wading jacket for the cool weather, a fishing shirt for the warm. Add in simms waders with tons of pocket space and call it a day.

vest in summer . pack in winter

I have a vest but have always used the shoulder pack. In it I put one box, pliers, clippers, an extra leader, and my phone and car keys. Weighs next to nothing and isn't as hot as a vest in summer. I usually have very little time to fish from november through april so i don't really know what's better then, although I imagine certain vests would keep you a little warmer.

Swim trunks and old sneakers all the way in summer.

Everyone told me I'd replace my vest when I fished my first hot day.. They were right. I don't understand the appeal of chest packs, and can't possibly see myself ever wearing one. I refuse on principle to ever use something even remotely related to something called a "fanny pack."

So...

Shoulder bag... the Orvis "sling bag," in my case. A bargin by Orvis standards at $49. As long as you remember to not dunk it, its fantastic.

I wear a chest pack because I don't like vest.

Oh, and you'll never see me wear one of those lanyard things!

Cest pack. Vests just cause you to carry more than you need.

I use a vest most of the time because I carry everything. I think that I will get one of the mesh vests this year for summer. I will use the pack for a specific hatch, like Tricos where I will just fish the hatch and go home. I also have a Downstream chest box that lets me carry more flys and adjust to different conditions during a longer day of fishing.

Anything but a vest. Primarily because I had experienced a tremendous amount of neck and shoulder strain over the years wearing a traditional vest (even went as light as the mesh vests and still had issues). One day, an angler told me to try a chest pack or something of that ilk because the vest caused him issues too and wouldnt you know, it made all the diff in the world for me. I never thought anything of it because I never tended to carry much in my vest so I never linked the 2 together but sure enough, just the disposition of the vest across the shoulders caused me pain. Now pain free and fishing longer for what it's worth...

If I am fishing a spot that is somewhat unfamiliar I usually wear a chest pack that way I can carry more with me on a trip. Fishing in more familiar areas when I have a prety good idea what I am going to need I wear a fishing shirt or my Columbia Wading jacket and wear a Lanyard. The lanyard has tippet, flotant clippers etc attached. The a fly box or two in the shirt poackets and I am good to go..
Bill

Used a vest for years and was in intense pain after only a few hours every time I wore it no matter how light I packed it. Switched to a shoulder pack. Didn't like that when I bent down to land a fish it would swing around to my front and usually knock something out of my hand. Finally went with a lumbar pack from LL Bean and now have gone to a smaller one with a wider belt and lumbar support from Mountainsmith. I wear it with the compartment over my lower back and have learned to reach back and work the zippers and identify fly boxes by feel. Haven't had any back pain since, and it doesn't get hung up as much as a vest if i'm hiking thru heavy brush. If i'm on big deep wading water I'll use the carry strap to sling the bag to around my neck / shoulder.

It is a personal preference.

How about neither? Lanyard with jacket or shirt pockets and use the wader pockets. Water bottle holder on wading belt.

It only took 5 years and $300 to figure this out.

Good luck to all fly anglers.

Every vest I've ever owned has had a large back pocket, in which I carry a raincoat for inclement weather. I guess some of these chest packs have a pocket large enough for that?

Most of them do now. I have two niced sized pockets in front for all the gear and flies. In the back i have a little mini back pack to hold a water or camelback/ jacket and it has a dry pocket for my keys and or cell phone.

I have an orvis safe original passage.

Pack

Man acristickid is my hero yet again. Rambo on the stream.

I have been researching this for a few months and decided on a chest pack. I needed to carry my camera on my back and wanted more side room for casting. My Orvis vest of 20 years was showing some age.

I went to the TCO Fly Shop in Bryn Mawr just this past Saturday. Chris helped me pick out the William Joseph Confluence Pack. He did a lot of photography and it was the one he used. I may have to rethink how I pack the vest and this winter should be a good time to get caught up with all that.

Great bunch of guys over at the TCO Fly Shop.

Attachments

• WJ_ChestPack_Confluence_Front_360.jpg
    WJ_ChestPack_Confluence_Front_360.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 3
Back