sink tip lines

F

flynoob

Hey guys I was wondering if you all could give me some information on sink tip lines. All I have ever fished is floating line, and wanted to see what the advantages and and what scenarios you would use the line in. The deepest I plan to fish are in the Yough for trout and in the Shenandoah River in VA for summer small mouth.

Thanks

I have used sink tip lines for streamer fishing before, but have since moved to removable sink tips. The added flexibility and lower costs are a no brainer to me.

I am sure I just don't know how it is done, but I don't like using sinking lines or sink tips for any kind of dead drift presentation. Drag is a natural result of sinking a thick fly line. For swinging or stripping streamers, they are great.

I may invest in a full sinking line for a dedicated streamer rod.

http://www.albrightflyfish.com/fly-rods/discontinued-products.html

http://www.albrightflyfish.com/fly-lines/xxt-fast-sinking-lines.html

I use em for swingin wet and streamers. I know of a couple people that deep nymph with them but it just seems odd to me.

I make my own loop connect sink tips outta lead core trolling line. Just incase I have to improvise when I'm along the creek with a floater. In case I get in a pinch.

I use a few sinking heads and tips with my shooting head system on my spey and switch rods to get the fly down deeper or control the depth of the swing or swim of the fly.

Because they are harder to cast in some cases, I prefer to use versileaders or polyleaders on the end of the heads as interchangeable sink tips, instead of sinking heads.
Because the head floats and only the verisleader or polyleader sinks it cast as easy as a floating line even with a 10' extra fast sinking versileader on the end of the floating head.

Normally for me with the sinking tips or heads it takes about one roll cast to get the sink tip to the surface then, cast as normal overhead back cast, or under the rod tip back cast for a spey cast.

jcspey

If you're mostly wading, stick to the sink tip lines or removable tips. A full sink line is a good option if you're fishing from a boat, otherwise it could get messy fishing big water.

Back