rod repair

S

stonefly

i was wondering if anyone knew how to repair the rip of a rod it just broke and i would rather at least try to repair the rod before i had to buy a new one also does anyone know if orvis has some kind of warranty for the rod

What make rod. Orvis has a 25 year warranty on most of their stuff

it is a streamline i am trying to repair it myself because i like the rod but i have decided on buying a backup for because i am going to west virginia to fish for 3 days

Definitely contact Orvis. I would predict they will make a proposal for repair or replacement that will interest you. If not and you want to attempt a repair here is what I did recently.

My son broke his 8 foot Flylogic rod that he liked very much. The break was about 3-4 inches from the tip. The crack was a little jagged, but I could not see any fracturing running down the blank. I took a single edged razor blade and carefully scored the blank around the circumference at a point below the breakage. I continued to run the blade around the blank where I scored it, adding depth to the score line each time. After a good 5-10 minutes (be patient, don't apply excessive pressure or you risk causing additional fractures) the rod separated where I scored it cleanly. I then used emory cloth, which is a very fine and light abrasive paper, to clean the tip up. I then removed the tiptop off the broken tip section by first removing the thread wraps with the razor blade, then by grasping the rod segment and the tiptop with pliers while applying heat to the tiptop, after a second or two of heating, it slid off cleanly.

Next, I checked the diameter of the new tip section of the rod against the tiptop. It was very close, but I needed to "sand" the tip a bit with the emory cloth. You may be better off getting a new slightly larger tiptop rather than "sand" the blank. I'm a cheapskate, so I reused the tiptop and opted to sand the tip of the blank. Time will tell if I weakened it by sanding. So far, so good. When the tiptop is ready to go on, just reheat it (use the pliers, that metal gets hot real quick) and slip it on. The adhesive will re-solidify quickly, so once you slip the tiptop back on, immediately get it lined up with the guides. It pays to be very precise in the alignment. One or two guides slightly out on line isn't so bad, but the slightest misalignment on the tiptop could ruin the rods tracking while casting.

Once seated, then just re-wrap the tiptop and apply finish.

Keep in mind, you will definitely be better served by professional repair or replacement of the tip section by the manufacturer. however, if you find yourself faced with the options of having a broken rod or giving it a go yourself, this may actually work out well. good luck and call Orvis first before you attempt any repair.

Im not sure if the Streamlines are covered under warranty. If not I would still contact Orvis customer service they are great about most of that stuff and really back their products. Im sure someone will chime in with an orvis horror story but Im teling you their pretty darn good.

You will stiffen the action considerably if the rod is shortened signifigantly at the tip. Contact Orvis, its worth spending a few extra bucks to get a new section.

Back