reel question?

B

brookie

I recently found out that there is a fly reel made by ross that is only like 50 dollars or so, I always thought this company only made really expensive high tech ones, how does this reel compare to other low end ones from other brands like orvis etc...

brookie wrote:
I recently found out that there is a fly reel made by ross that is only like 50 dollars or so, I always thought this company only made really expensive high tech ones, how does this reel compare to other low end ones from other brands like orvis etc...

Coupling the picture with the description it looks like geared disc drag with plastic gears and a small drag surface. Doesn't sound very reliable to me.

What type of fishing are you doing? Do you need a good drag or are you fishing smaller water and fish where the drag isn't as important?

The Cabela's Prestige Plus has disk drag and is in the same price range but I don't have any experience with that model.

yea it would be for just just general trout fishing no salmon or anything like that that will take the line into the backing

I use mostly Ross Flywater and Flywater 2 reels which are more expensive than the Flystart. Some people have reported problems with Cabela's disk drag reels so you might want to look for comment before going with the a Prestige Plus. I do have a couple Cabela's CSR (my son uses) which have been fine but I think that's the one some other people had problems with. It looks a lot like the Prestige Plus.

Okuma Sierra's are a nice reel for the money less then 50...and disc drags.. I carry them.

Brookie,

are you looking for a new reel? If so, I have a Cabela's LSR1 with a Scientific Angler Trout line (3wt) and backing that I would like to sell. It is in very good condition and would sell both reel and line for $75.

I love the prestige plus. It's a very good reel. I have not, however, stress tested the drag. I bought a 9/10 CSR for the salmon river, and found it to be absolute junk. The drag was fried after one fish. Granted, he was the biggest of the trip, and ran me a few hundred yards.

I would guess the prestige plus might have the same problems, but for trout, it has been awesome. I used to exclusively use okuma sierras for my trout rods, but one got stolen and the other is on its last legs after over 6 years of solid use. I have no complaints.

The prestige and prestige plus ARE okuma reels...I have the plus on my 8 weight and the regular prestige on my trout rod...and the plus is great for the beach and for steelhead...I have had no problem what-so-ever with the drag or any function of the reel...someone was blasting it in another thread when I mentioned it but I like it just fine...handled a 20 inch rainbow with absolutly no prob on the Yough back in Jan with the regular prestige as well...for less than 50 you can;t beat it...if you need more reel than that you have to pay more...heck, until I bought these I was using an old martin reel and NEVER lost a fish because of the reel...

Unless smallie fishing or maybe stealheads an expensive reel for trout just isn't necessary. Very very rarely do I ever get a trout on the reel even on bigger rivers and I've caught several 20+inch trout. I love the Okumas and thats all my brother, dad, and I use anymore.

I use the Okuma SLV on my 3 weight, 5 weight, and 6 weight (steelhead) rods. Can't beat it for $55. Its lightweight, durable, and has a nice drag. Link to Okuma SLV on Troutlet.com

Back