patagonia ultralight wading boots?

k-bob

k-bob

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/ultralight-wading-boots-sticky?p=79295-0

have seen these and they are very light, may be good for hiking to fish. anyone have experience using them?

I haven't used them, but from what I've read about them, I think they are probably pretty good.

The part that interests me, besides the light weight, is that they are designed to flex.

That's something that I've become aware of with the traditional, Simms and similar, heavy duty boots. They don't flex much. Your feet are encased in a rigid box. That may be OK if you aren't walking long distances.

But when you walk 3 - 6 miles or so when fishing "mountain streams" I think it would be better to have a wading shoe that allows your feet to flex.

Among hikers, many people have moved from the heavy rigid boots to much lighter hiking shoes. Not just for the weight difference, but because these shoes allow your feet to flex. Like they're supposed to!

that's my thought - these may better for hiking to fish. vast majority of my fishing is hike in.

I saw the Patagonia boots in a store, borrowed their postal scale, and compared with my usual simms rivershed boots. much lighter, maybe 33%-40%. maybe they will be better for hiking given flex and not just lighter weight?

will give them a try.

k-bob/tb – Knowing the kind of fishing you guys do, these are worth a look if you’re in that market.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Gold-Medal-Wading-Boots/1153049.uts

Made the switch to these from more traditional, stiffer wading boots last Summer, and my feet and ankles are much happier. Only had them 6 months or so, so I can’t comment on longevity yet, but thus far they’re holding up well. Not sure how they compare weight wise to the Patagonia’s, but they’re definitely more hiker than wader in terms of construction. No discernible difference in traction in stream or on wet boulders than any other lug sole wading boot (which all aren’t very good IMO).

swattie yeah those look interesting. almost all of my hiking to fish trips have been with the simms riversheds, do want to try something lighter and more flexible

Dwight tried flexing the simms riversheds, they really don't like flexing so I see what you mean.

I had a pair of Patagonia Rivertreads with the sticky rubber sole. They were fairly light and gave good footing but the stitching came apart after one season. I should have returned them but I didn't want another pair. These look to be built about the same, perhaps these aren't made in China like mine were.

I have been considering wearing running shoes instead of wading boots. Have used running shoes to wet wade small steams without any problem. Would appreciate your comments.

I think you'd be better off getting a lightweight wading shoe, with rubber soles and studs, for better traction.

I have these but haven't had them out yet. Will post thoughts once I've given them some time.

these guys say a pair of the Patagonia UL boots weighs 2 lb 6 oz:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPOX-JSJApI

that's 19 oz / boot. my simms riversheds weigh 33 oz each.

hope I can get the Patagonia ULs in a size that fits. there's a hikers' saying that a lb on the feet equals five on the back.

I still can't make sense of why no one will make a wet-wading dedicated boot. That'd be the perfect summer hike-in boot. Simms used to make one a while ago, but it was felt bottom. There are a few other things out there that are close, but still not basically just a vibram-soled hiking boot that drains.

an article on the importance of lighter footwear for hiking:

http://adventure.howstuffworks.com/outdoor-activities/hiking/one-pound-off-feet-five-pounds-off-back.htm

also, tried flexing the patagonias UL sole versus my simms riversheds... the Patagonia sole is much more flexible. store didn't have my size so I don't own a pair... yet...

If you want something really light, you should look at the Simms Riprap shoes. They are easy to put on, and you can put studs on them.

RipRap Shoes

I still can't make sense of why no one will make a wet-wading dedicated boot....There are a few other things out there that are close, but still not basically just a vibram-soled hiking boot that drains.

That's because different materials are necessary. Repeated dunkings would tear apart the materials used in everyday hiking boots. Like real leather just would not last in water use.

I'm not exactly sure what you're looking for, as the requirements for wet wading don't seem to be any different than with waders, to me. Maybe some sizing variations if you don't make a habit of wearing neoprene socks when wet wading. But there are plenty of choices, generally ranging from very "boot-like" to more "shoe-like", in any sole you want.

Most wading boots do lean towards more "boot-like", but there are some with better flexibility that are more shoe-like. I suspect that's what you're looking for. So:

Chota Caney Fork, for instance, still looks like a boot but is lighter and more flexible than their more boot-like STL's. They market it as a "wade and portage" shoe.

The Korkers HyJack are marketed as wet wading shoes, with the interchangable sole system. Their Torrents look decent too.

The Simms Rip-Rap might be what you're looking for. Or their mariner shoe, which I think is more designed for drift boat types.

The Columbia Drainmaker fits the description too, though might not have the type of grip on streambeds, but be more geared towards boating and flats type stuff.

Orvis had one, I think they actually called it the "Orvis Wet Wading Shoe". I think they've discontinued it.

I think Keen makes some drainable hikers as well. Look up the McKenzie Shoe. It's kind of a cross between a sandle and a hiking boot.

Teva makes things along this line as well.

If these are barking up the wrong tree, what exactly are you looking for?

I bought a pair of these Patagonia boots in early spring 2013 and used them all season. Unlike my previous pair of Orvis wading boots that de-laminated after half a season, these have held up very well.

I wore them throughout two very long days (15 hours) of fishing where we covered over 8 miles each way on each day. No blisters, no hot spots. I think the light weight made them bearable for that length of time and that much hiking.

They're also quite stable in the water. While they flex front to back easily, they are pretty stiff side to side, so you don't roll off off rocks or twist ankles. I also used them with neoprene wet wading socks all summer; nice and light and cool during the hottest days.

I would recommend trying them on before you buy them. I usually wear size 13 but had to go to size 14 as these seem to run a little small.

TY those look great but I think I want something that comes up over my ankle.. better for rock hopping I think...

BFE. have gotten a pair of the Patagonia uls and I have the same experience on sizing: I usually wear 9 in these a 10 is good

each boot is about 11 ounces lighter than my simms Riversheds. can't hurt that they are about 1/3 lighter.

they do seem more flexible... more shoe like, less boot like

now have some hiking and steep stream experience with the patagonia ultralight boots... good grip on trails and rocks with Patagonia screws. can't be sure, but maybe less fatigue with lighter weight and more flex. going from 4.5 lb to 3 lb boot weight cant hurt. happy customer, no blisters or break in issues

Back