old rod any ideas what brand?

K

kevin07

Picked up an old fly rod at the flea market the other day got it pretty cheap, was wondering if its any good or if anyone could tell what brand it might be. It looks like it had a cticker on it at one point with mabe the brand name but its pealed off now. Also how can you tell what weight it is? I put some 6wt line on and it seemed to have to much rod flex for it. At some of the guides the threads are coming unwrapped and i am planning on fixing them shortly.

Attachments

• 164.JPG
    164.JPG
    918.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 165.JPG
    165.JPG
    964.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 166.JPG
    166.JPG
    937 KB · Views: 2
Is it glass? I have a Horrocks-Ibbotson that looks a lot like that one.

I dont think its glass but im not sure its pretty light. I s there a way to tell? Im new to the whole fly fishing deal.

It's an early fiberglass rod, but I don't know the brand.

Im guessing its not worth much? I was planning on fishing with it unless it was worth something.

I sold a couple of them on Ebay awhile back. I at least got more than I paid for them.;-)

I had one when I was in my early 20s that looks a lot like yours.

Bikerfish knows his stuff when it comes to the old glass rods, but he might be away from the sife right now.

I'm here! need some better pics to tell what it is. any markings at all? what length is it? maybe a pic of the stripping guide as well, plus any decorative wraps it might have?

it is a glass rod, it will flex WAY more than a graphite rod while casting. that 6 wt is probably close to what it would be rated at. remember, most rods from back then started at 6 and went up from there. not many 4 or 5 wt rods from back then. a 6 wt was the classic trout wt.

I doubt they are homemade wraps. Homemade if done right would look better and not have that single strand crossover to the next wrap (other side of the guide). They are probably machine wrapped. I've seen lots of inexpensive rods done that way, both fly and spinning rods. It saves time, even if not machine made.

here where no markings at all. About 18 inches up it looks like there was a sticker but its just like a clear glue spot now. Its 8'6" and it looks like the wraps dont have much if any kind of epoxy on them. Here are some more pictures.

Attachments

• 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    537.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 017.JPG
    017.JPG
    890.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 018.JPG
    018.JPG
    495.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 019.JPG
    019.JPG
    727.7 KB · Views: 2
an 8ft 6 glass rod from that era would most likely be a bass rod, try it with a 7 or even 8 wt, weight forward or double taper if you have access to them, some rods cast nicer with one or the other. probably be a good streamer rod for smallmouth or for casting big bass bugs. if it were mine I'd take it to erie and fish for steelhead with it! tidy up the wraps and give them a few good coats of spar varnish, should be all ya need to do.

if not and you want to sell let me know how much..

Back