Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

no new vest for me

This evening, I cajoled my wife into repairing a couple places in my fishing vest: a shoulder tear from crawling under a barbed wire fence, and a large hole in the pocket where I store my main box of dry flies (I didn't want to lose the box). When she started and then as she worked to repair the tears and the hole, she chided me for wearing such a woeful vest. She actually threatened to buy me a new one, which, of course, horrified me. Though I try to avoid other guys when fishing, I do run into a fair number of them, and I certainly would not want to be embarrassed by wearing a new vest. I'm sure you all understand! When I tried to explain that to her, she told me that no one should look like I must when wearing that vest (or at least she pretended that she was distraught that I'd wear my reliable old vest). Just because it has a few stains and now-repaired places is no reason to run out for another. But, I'm going to have to keep an eye on it, or I'm afraid she really will try to replace it. If I'd have known that having her sew a few spots was going to cause her reaction, I'd have just duct-taped the tears and the hole. Geez....

Posted on: 2012/12/11 22:27

Re: no new vest for me

From Clinton County, Pa.
I'm about to replace my wading boots with a new pair. I feel the same way about wearing a brand new pair. My old ones are getting pretty worn and have alot of wear on them and need replaced soon. Wearing new ones I'm afraid will make me look like a rookie.

Posted on: 2012/12/11 22:56

From Pittsburgh
I've had my wife - who is a seamstress - repair my current vest, which is about 6-7 years old. No holes or tears in it - just a few of the zippers broke, and she replaced them. But it does have a few stains on it, and she keeps telling me to get aother one also.
Now, I have no problem with wearing something new - and can't really understand why you guys thing it makes you look like a novice.
But the old one is so comfortable - like a well worn pair of shoes or gloves. And I know right where everything is in it.
I don't know though. Guess I'll probably be getting a new one soon

Posted on: 2012/12/11 23:34

From Delaware Co.
Quote:

WildTigerTrout wrote:
I'm about to replace my wading boots with a new pair. I feel the same way about wearing a brand new pair. My old ones are getting pretty worn and have alot of wear on them and need replaced soon. Wearing new ones I'm afraid will make me look like a rookie.

Let your fishing do the talking not your gear . I am always getting new vets and waders and never been accused of being a rookie . But I have been accused of wearing to much tweed

Posted on: 2012/12/12 0:43

From Chester County

Attach file:

jpg  Tweed.jpg (14.05 KB)
53_50c867adc653d.jpg 236X214 px

Posted on: 2012/12/12 6:17

From Perry County
Here I thought I was just cheap and that was why I never wanted to replace anything and here it may be a underlying fear of looking like I am just new to this sport.

My vest is duct taped and my pack which is a old william joseph which my wife added part to the strap so I can buckle it because I was much younger and slimmer when I first got that pack which I love and could not think of replacing.

Posted on: 2012/12/12 6:35

From lower burrell, pa
I'm a rookie may have to put some holes in the vest and repair it with camo duct tape. Maybe that will increase my skill level. lol

Posted on: 2012/12/12 6:39

From Monessen, PA
When I finally had to put my old vest out of its misery, I replaced it with a vest-pack. It took me nearly the whole year to get used to the new locations of the items I carry along.

Posted on: 2012/12/12 8:03

From Gettysburg
I'll confess to being one of those anglers who has always taken some pride in his old, battered equipment. My chest fly box is nearly 30 years old and my trout vest is probably over 20. Like a lot of "older" fishermen who started in the hobby before chest packs were prevalent (almost every trout fisher wore vests before the mid 80s or so).....I've always been a vest guy and, like Jack, am a creature of habit and prefer my stuff stay in the same pockets. Nevertheless, many anglers who wore vests for years find they develop back pain as they get older and switch to the, apparently, more ergonomic chest packs. However, I like to carry a lot of stuff and haven't had back pain (yet) so I'll stick with my old, tattered vest replete with tears, frayed edges, decades old Mucilin stains.... and such battle scars.

Posted on: 2012/12/12 9:04

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
I have completely rid myself of the vest. Chest box, zingers, and the wader pouch is all I need. My back thanks me.

Posted on: 2012/12/12 9:07

From Gamehendge
Dunno what you guys are talking about, but there is nothing like new gear. Knowing that you won't have to replace something for awhile is always reassuring for me. I'm really hard on gear. There is not a company out there that makes anything I can't destroy within a year. Remember... "If your lookin good, your fishin good".

Posted on: 2012/12/12 9:37

From Delaware Co.
+1^

Posted on: 2012/12/12 9:39

From florida
Ask for one for Xmas. Then if anyone asks "say santa took pitty on me" New is new. GG

Posted on: 2012/12/12 9:46

From Gettysburg
Quote:

Phish_On wrote:
"If your lookin good, your fishin good".

"If you're lookin good, you just returned from shopping."

There, fixed it for yuh.

Posted on: 2012/12/12 9:46

From Clinton County, Pa.
Quote:

Fishidiot wrote:
Quote:

Phish_On wrote:
"If your lookin good, your fishin good".

"If you're lookin good, you just returned from shopping."

There, fixed it for yuh.
Glad you fixed that for him.

Posted on: 2012/12/12 10:30

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com