no click reels

KeithS

KeithS

I've had it with the loud click on an otherwise peaceful midstream on a beautiful Sunday morning.Can anyone recommend a disc drag reel suitable for 7WF used for smallmouth? The budget's pretty tight. I've read favorable reviews on the Okuma fly reels.

Are you looking for no-click retrieve, or no clicks at all?

Okuma sierras are dirt cheap, silent on the retrieve, and last for years. Like almost all fly reels, they make noise when you take line.

If you want total silence, look for a cabela's prestige plus. They are good while they last, but their durability blows in my experience.

For me the louder the click the better...lol, but if your reel has a drag (not a clicker reel if that makes sense) you can probably remove the clicker. What brand/model is it?

I only own one reel that clicks on the retrieve and it's a cheap cortland that came with the rod.

Most of my other reels don't even click when lines is peeled off of them.

I think I would kill someone if I heard a reel click all day long.

mrflyfish wrote:
Lampson konic

I checked out the reel schematic from their site. Your reel has a long plastic feeler that rides over a plastic gear to make the clicking sound. Remove the spool and nip off the end of the feeler and you should have a quiet Sunday morning.

Funny many of my dreams begin and end a Zzzzzzzzzzz. To each his own. :)

The G-Loomis Venture is on the cheap side... relatively. $100 will get you a solid reel with a lifetime warranty that's quiet on the retrieve. Still clicks on the way out though.

bam, I agree the G-Loomis "Venture" is a good reel for the money. IMO it is the best in that price range. I have the 3 and the 7 and am more than satisfied with the performance of both.

Agreed on the venture. I use it for tributary fishing, and would do so for trout if I could justify spending $100 on a trout reel.

Wright Mcgill "plunge" large arbore. Or the Okuma "SLV' all around 60$ and no clicker.

Old Abels were silent outgoing, and there was a Targus reel silent in and out, no model for that though.

Wow, what a response. I have 2 reels, an SA System 1 and a Cortland . Both are click drags, and loud.

I checked out the reel schematic from their site. Your reel has a long plastic feeler that rides over a plastic gear to make the clicking sound. Remove the spool and nip off the end of the feeler and you should have a quiet Sunday morning.

Ya, this is really interesting. I HATE any noise on a reel. Seems like a cry for attention or something. Modern clickers are there to simply create noise. Why do we want to go out in solitude and create man made noise? I don't get it, other than the desire to let others know you have a fish. I often note a correlation between fishermans clicker volume and their need to take 5 minutes to land a fish. *Note this opinion is NOT directed at anyone and is just my thoughts and experiences. As Afish said, to each his own.

You don't have to take Lamson spools off to quieten the click on most of them. Just line up the frame with the spool allowing screw driver access, turn the screw that holds the clicker in place, then move the little paddle forward a tad and it does not engage. This keeps the weight there and keeps the reel in balance. I removed the clicker from a Litespeed Hard Alox and Heritage Angler pointed out it became slightly unbalanced. Lamsons are great reels imo. My other reels are Bauer which was silent from factory and Orvis BLA's which are easy to silence. Simply take spool off, take screw driver and remove a little screw which hold a plastic ball that engages against the frame.

Wow, what a response. I have 2 reels, an SA System 1 and a Cortland . Both are click drags, and loud.

I bet if you tear them apart you will find some needless plastic part that causes the noise, that can be easily removed.

I had both open this morning. The spring applying drag adjusts the plastic triangles tension in the gears on the spool. It doesn't appear that even spinning the plastic triangles would allow any kind of drag. I may be wrong. I'll have to Google instructions for them.
I like the Cortland. It's light and works well for these creek smallmouth and panfish but the noise on both pull-out and retrieve is offensive and damaging to my piscatorial meditation.

If the reel has a disc drag, removing the triangles will not affect it. If the reel is a click and pawl, or click drag (like the okuma sierra), you will not be able to remove them.

Ya, sorry, thought he said he had disk drag, now see he is looking for disk drag. As Jay notes click and pawl is the reason this annoying trend started in the first place, lol. Actually had a function.

I have a 4 reels that do not click on retrieve and have very quiet clicks when pulling line out, they are;

White River Classic 3/4

Redington CD 3/4

Okuma Integrity 7/8

Greys Streamlite 2/3

I have one Phleuger Medalist and it is loud. I decided it will make a nice conversation piece. I also had a Scientific Angler and a Browning Reel that were loud.

Thanks, JLW. I'll get a look at those.

Actually, I just had the Greys Stream lite out and it does click on retrieve although it is not annoyingly loud, and just a little more audible when taking line out.

It is a personal thing but I cannot stand a loud reel. I don't mind hearing a clicking but if it can be heard from 50 yards away on a quiet stream that is getting to be too loud.

Back