new reel and some new lines: suggestions

jayL

jayL

All,

I've had an influx of rods lately... I finally got around to getting my sweetheart versitex 3 weight repaired, and I'm building a loomis 5 weight.

Currently, i've had to suffer (poor me :p) through the poor college kid years with one rod, a 4 weight TFO. It's not a bad rod and I use it as my all around (like i have a choice) and I plan on continuing to use it as such.

I use the three weight exclusively on calm days during sulphur and ant fishing... just dries, and only on small local freestoners. I've hooked two fish that I could barely land healthy one day on the tully so I don't take it there anymore.

The 5 weight is still in the works but I've always figured that it would be another all arounder and would be useful for chucking weighted nymphs and egg flies as well.

Right now I only have one reel, a 4/5 Okuma Sierra... it's cheap but i like it. I was thinking of getting a spare spool to use with the 5 weight... Any good all around line recommendations? I know that everyone has their favorites, but what the heck.

The real question...

My 3 weight's reel was stolen (nothing is sacred in center city philly). I think the sierra is a little heavy for this rod so I don't want go just get an extra spool. Any recommendations for reels/lines for the usage that I described above? Prefferably cheap, but I want something that will last.

Thanks

I can't look at Cabelas from work, but this weekend, if I am recalling correctly, they had a lightweight reel in the "Bargain Cave" section that seemed a good value. I was tempted to buy it myself, but have too many needs that trump my wants. I am not certain, but I believe it may have been the Cabelas Prestige Plus LA.

If you like the Okuma, get another. I got one for my brother. I can't think of anything wrong with them.

As for lines... I like the Cortland 444 lines. They hold up awfully well. Just keep 'em clean and they'll cast well.

I got one of those orvis spam emails today that had one of their reels thats normally 90 bucks on sale for half...the small one is a 2-5wt. Large arbor if I remember right...

Jay,

I got an Okuma SLV reel recently and I'm pretty impressed with it for the price. You can find it online for 50-60 bucks. The 2/3 might work well for your 3 wieght.

My brother, dad, and myself all have Okuma fly reels. We love them for the price. I don't understand why someone would need a fancy reel for the streams around here in PA. I play all my fish by hand and I do not let the reel do much of anything. Maybe 2 or 3 fish will take me to the backing and I'll have to use the reel a little but I don't need fancy drag systems or whatnot. Now if I was smallie fishing or stealheading I'd maybe be thinking differently.

I'm still a big fan of the Cortland 333 lines...I haven't found an expensive line that has lasted long enough or out performed the 333 series. I've tried a lot too...SA Mastery Series, Cortland 555, 444 lazer, and probably a couple of others I can't think of and I always go back to the 333.

I second okuma reels, I have a vashon on my 8wt and an integrity on my 5wt. my 3 wt is paired w/a pfluger supreme.

lines, i like wulff triangle taper, and cortland 444.

Thanks for the input...

The day I posted this thread, my car broke down.... looks like the new reels might have to wait a little bit. I'm definately going to bargain hunt now!

Back