new glass rod

blueheron

blueheron

I had this new type fiberglass blank for a while and collected the other parts and decided to put it together. I have done individual repairs, new reel seats, new snake guides and the like but this is my first build from a blank. Really fun and not hard at all, especially if you have any tying skills. 7' 6" for a 4 weight.

Attachments

• 001 (1280x960) (800x600) (640x480) (350x263).jpg
    001 (1280x960) (800x600) (640x480) (350x263).jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 002 (1280x960) (800x600) (640x480) (350x263).jpg
    002 (1280x960) (800x600) (640x480) (350x263).jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 003 (1280x960) (800x600) (640x480) (350x263) (325x244).jpg
    003 (1280x960) (800x600) (640x480) (350x263) (325x244).jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 004 (1280x960) (800x600) (640x480) (325x244).jpg
    004 (1280x960) (800x600) (640x480) (325x244).jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 4
now you will be hooked! pardon the pun. lol
I build rods as a side hobby. I have looked into the EPIC blanks but hard to justify dropping that kind of money on a glass blank when I can buy blanks from orvis or sage or Winston for the same price.

looks good so far. find someone to make you a decal and finish it off :)

SlingerFlyRods wrote:
now you will be hooked! pardon the pun. lol
I build rods as a side hobby. I have looked into the EPIC blanks but hard to justify dropping that kind of money on a glass blank when I can buy blanks from orvis or sage or Winston for the same price.

looks good so far. find someone to make you a decal and finish it off :)

unless you like the action of that blank and the others don't offer anything comparable.
it's not always about brand names.

unless you like the action of that blank and the others don't offer anything comparable.
it's not always about brand names.[/quote]

My sincere apologies to you bikerfish! it was not meant to be a dig on fiberglass rods or to the OP. Kudos to blueheron for working with a glass blank (which he did not name the manufacturer)

I too build custom rods, and would much rather build one without a "name brand" I was just simply stating I couldn't pull the trigger on the EPIC blanks which are expensive! I don't know what kind of blank he's working with nor does it matter really. It is his!

I gave him some positive info and praise on the rod looking good, and suggested getting a decal made (left out that it could have the rod info, and his name)

This was a positive post on my end, turned sour yet again by the pa fly fish police.

Some dude from Pa. sells the blanks for cheap on ebay, I imagine that they're imported from the east and I don't mean Jersey. I fish cheap bamboo and fiberglass rods but the old fiberglass is a bit heavy and whippy for my tastes, ok for throwing meat but this new one will be dainty for the little stuff. Slinger, no harm no foul , keep piling on the praise.

I have heard of that guy. I deal with a guy out west. But I'm sure most if not all of the blanks being bought are from "east" like you said. I try to buy American tackle components for my stuff , but its getting harder to do with the pricing.

absolutlely a good blank for pitchin some flies around. Interested to hear how it works for you when you get a chance.

I would like to experiment with a glass blank some time, maybe if its not too much trouble shoot me a PM if you have a suggestion where to get one

OP, nice build.

As mentioned, you can get 'glass blanks from the guy on the auction site, or his website http://www.mtnbrookrods.com/

Phil at Kettle Creek Tackle has an extensive lineup of blanks too.
http://kettlecreektackleshop.com/

I knew Phil has his blanks up there but honestly forgot all about him.

do any of those rod blanks come with any type of warranty? im assuming not, but doesnt hurt to ask

I don't know man, I wouldn't mind one of those blue Epic glass blanks! "Fast glass" for throwing big meat...I could see it becoming my go-to summer time rod.

Can you justify that price though lol. I mean I know I get a little carried away at times with hunting and fishing gear but I don't know if that adventurous to try lol

330 and change for the blank. Tack on 30 for a reel seat, 15 for a cork grip, 20 for a guide set and a few bucks for your thread and glue were talking 400 into the rod itself my cost.

Anywho, to get back on the thread, blueheron you . mentioned it's your first build. Do you mean fiberglass build or first one all together?

I've never built a rod before, so I always imagined if I was gonna try to build one, I'd go big!

I mean, $400 would be more than what I've spent on any of my rods (glass is relatively cheap!), but for something special, $400 seems pretty good, actually. There are guys on here who spent well into the thousands for their rods!

very good point. never thought of it that way. right now at my present state I build entry level rods. not so much for beginners but for those who maybe like trying fly fishing for the first time but don't want to spend a ton of money. this is by no means an advertisement, im plenty busy with work and I enjoy my own time on the water lol

now you guys got me thinking about a glass rod build.. my dad used to use an old fen-glass by fenwick, he said he loved using it until it was stolen as a kid..

might consider replicating one to get to him. all this ice has me itching to get some stuff done to get ready for the season

I've been interested in this blank for a while. It's dirt cheap....anyone heard any reviews on it?
http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/fiberglass-rod-blanks/029710400009.aspx

Looks good. Nice job. Cap it off by gluing an entire turkey feather to the blank above the grip. LOL

here's the deal about custom glass.
if you've got the scratch to drop on a blank, you're gonna build it and aren't worried about warranty, then its probably ok.
However, if you buy the blank from a custom builder, or buy a 'named' blank and have custom buider build it, then you're talking about $600-700 all in.
I did this both ways, bought a custom Kabuto, didnt like it upon reciept from the builder and subsequently returned it the same day i received it.
Then i bought a kabuto blank and was gonna have a different builder build it; but, couldn't bring myself to do it, 'cause if it gets broken, thats it'
Typically builders will only warranty either own work i.e. the components and wraps. If you walk on the rod, or break it in a car door....you done for.
However. I'd happily buy a kabuto now and build it myself. Put the work in over time and enjoy the process. Then its on me if it gets broken and i'm not going crying to a builder asking for my money back.

It all boils down to this. How much are you prepared to invest in a rod with no return if something happens.

Nice rod Chris, have you finished the wraps...its kinda hard to tell from the photos.

Eunan

The_Sasquatch wrote:
I've never built a rod before, so I always imagined if I was gonna try to build one, I'd go big!

I mean, $400 would be more than what I've spent on any of my rods (glass is relatively cheap!), but for something special, $400 seems pretty good, actually. There are guys on here who spent well into the thousands for their rods!

Squatch, check out Steffen brothers. I built one of there blanks last winter and really love it, both building and fishing it. With all the other parts and pieces, it probably came to around $300.
It was easier to build the rod than to make my own reel.
I'm sure there are some people close to you that could help you with building your rod. I was lucky enough to have a good friend who had the drying box and guide wrapping stand.
If you do build one, I would recommend a down locking reel seat. It really help balance the rod.

Bill

Yeah man I hate up-locking reel seats anyway. Never would have been an option! Good to know my preference actually serves a purpose.

Epic blanks are the shark jump of the fiberglass world.

They're also nothing more than CTS blanks. I suspect their tapers are modified somewhat, but they're all shat out of the CTS factory in Middle Earth.

The gold standard in fiberglass blanks are Steffan, there's better and there's worse but Steffan is the mark by which they are judged.

The biggest downside to building a fiberglass rod is the size of their butt ends. In some cases, you simply cannot find a reel seat to fit it (my Kabuto was too big for anythign but a custom cut wood seat or metal seats), and the fact that you'll be reaming out the cork handle for hours, especially if you can't jury rig something with a drill and a file.

The actual wrapping of the blank is easy, especially if you only use a single colour of thread. Take your time, and expect to re-do a couple of the guide wraps after your shoddy whip finishes fail during the ohter guide wraps.

I used a cardboard box for a few before I made my own stands from PVC pipe. I've done thread through a book for tension, but once I started to do trims, I actually use bobbins to hold the thread, and a fly tying vice (or free hang) to do the thread.

Any idiot can do this.

spot on Gfen.
that's exactly how I got my start. I've never constructed a glass rod yet. kind of wanting to try one after all this talk.

I did move on and buy a rod wrapper, and I have 3 drying motors so I can wrap 3 rods, and mix glue once gluing eyes on 3 rods instead of 1 at a time..

I certainly started with closehangers, books for tention, and a lot of "cut it off and re-do" lol

thanks for the info on Steffan blanks, whoever mentioned it. going to look into it for sure for a personal build.

Back