loop connection

robkonowitch

robkonowitch

I just put new line on my reel and now need a loop connection. Has anyone ever used old fly line to tie a nail knot so it worked like a braided loop?

I think you'd get better results out of nail knotting on a piece of heavy mono and tying a loop in the mono.

Of course, I tie horrible nail knots, so what do I know.

Just put a loop in your fly line. Fold the fly line back an tie it down with a bobbin an thread. I have been putting my own 'welded' loops in my fly line for years. Whip finish an cement. Will last a long time. Depending how much you fish. I usually have to replace the loop 2-3 times a year. I fish a lot tho.

You can do a whipped loop like Fish_on mentioned. I like to use a short lenght of mono. Nail knotted to fly line. If tyed well it will last for a very long time.

GenCon

robkonowitch wrote:
I just put new line on my reel and now need a loop connection. Has anyone ever used old fly line to tie a nail knot so it worked like a braided loop?
Why don't you just use a braided loop? I super glue them on and they last a very long time. I color them with a red marker and use them as an indicator on super smooth water.

lv2nymph wrote:
Why don't you just use a braided loop? I super glue them on and they last a very long time. I color them with a red marker and use them as an indicator on super smooth water.

I've had these fail (and cost me the biggest steelhead of my life) on larger species, but agree they should be fine for trout.

In fact, it was probably my methodology that lead to the failure in the first place.

lv2nymph wrote:

'Cause they suck?

Whip a loop on the end of the line or nail knot on a heavy piece of mono and tie a loop in it. If you don't have a spool of heavy mono you can use a piece cut from the butt of an otherwise junk leader.

Everyone has an opinion, no matter how blunt some may be. I take it you've had a bad time with these? I've been using them for many years and have yet to have any problems with them at all. Some have been on lines for a lot of years. I would not have suggested it if it had not worked so well over the years for me.

I find that they spray water, collect a lot of crud, and tend to sink. I have not had that happen with whipped loops or nail knottted mono butts.

I have not found that, and I think I know why. When I put them on and apply the super glue I put it on the whole part of it that's on the fly line ( fills the little voids maybe? ) I apply a coating of silicone mucilin so staying afloat isn't an issue. Maybe this is the difference?

lv2nymph wrote:
When I put them on and apply the super glue I put it on the whole part of it that's on the fly line ( fills the little voids maybe? )

That probably does keep the water out, but then that's just too much messing around for me. I don't see what's to be gained by purchasing a special braided loop then fussing with it to get it to do what I want. Especially, since I can nail knot on some mono or better yet, whip a loop. Both in no time flat and with virtually no special materials needed.

Understood...

I read an article somewhere that you can make your owne looped end on your fly line by using a hair straightening iron to melt the end back over itself, thus forming a loop. I never tried it myself because I was afraid it would weaken the line at the "weld". Just wandering if anyone else has tried this, or heard of it even.

I've never heard about the hair straightener trick but I have some old line laying around so I might play around with it this weekend. I'm sure my wife will be thrilled about me using her hair straightener.

lv2nymph wrote:
I have not found that, and I think I know why. When I put them on and apply the super glue I put it on the whole part of it that's on the fly line ( fills the little voids maybe? ) I apply a coating of silicone mucilin so staying afloat isn't an issue. Maybe this is the difference?

I would not recommend super glue as it creates stiffness in the line which would cause the line coating to crack, especially where the line meets the connector. You really don't need any adhesive with those type of braided loops. If you feel you need the extra security, use a flexible adhesive such as thinned aquaseal or locktite 414.

I've been expreimenting with welded loops on my spey heads and tips using this method.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cONydFcpYtk

Back