jan's net craft glass blank?

D

DJBerg

Any of you glass guys have any experiance with them? Gonna order one, only because for $38 shipped for the blank, skeleton reel seat stuff and a tip top that will fit. I have the rest of the stuff already and im gonna turn the seat wood out of black walnut.

But I guess my question is have any of you built and or fished one? And if it sucks im only out like $45 lol.

No, but it sounds like a fun project! Give it a try, not much to lose for the $$$!

If you'd rather build a shorter 7' 5wt 2pc e-glass using Batson Forecast blanks for @ the same price, send me a PM and I can provide you some info.

let me see how i like this one and i very well may grab one from you as well.

I investigated that blank a bit. Most say it's at least a 7 weight. If it turns out yours fishes well with a 5 wt., I would be very interested in hearing about it.

Good luck and show us the results.

I wonder who built them? Novices? pros?

I know when I built my last/first rod I put way too much epoxy on my rod(covering up multiple bad epoxy jobs I ended up witb 4 coats).

And the rod started at a9.5wt but by the time it was finished it was a 11.5wt, I think the multi epoxy jobs had something to do witb that.

But as soon as I get it im gonna measure it weight wise and ill post it. Then again when I finsh it. And also line it with a few different lines. Though as im thinking now I may under line it, guessing how glass feels.

But ill keep ya posted.

From what I recall that is a gloss black blank and needs no further coats of anything except on your thread wraps and maybe the winding check. Flex Coat is so good and easy for that it's hard to mess up even if you try.

yeah you were right, it's just a hair under a 7wt, just got it today. sweet flex, heavy, but who cares for a $18 blank. pics and build will be in my other thread.

I've been eying these up online too. I'd love to see what the final build looks like!

As of right now, its got some black walnut and cotton wood rings glued on for a grip, and I had planned on turning bith this blank and another rod im converting the other night. But when I called my buddy with the metal lathe I was informed he's on vacation for the next week. So im sort of stuck, I dont know any one with a big enough lathe to chuck up tbe rods witb the guides in place so, I cant move forward until I can turn the grips. And I wanna use a metal lathe to turn the reel insert as well since the o.d. on it has to be 17mm and the i.d. has to be 13mm to fit over the butt of tbe blank.

So thats where it stands as of right now. The only other thing I need to do is build a multi rod drying rack, so I can epoxy all the wraps in one night vs a week(i'm doing a few rod repairs as well for other people).

You realize that CCS is, at best, a loose guideline, right? Its an imprecise system that exists to do its best to help provide a starting point in baselining graphite rods, and it generally begins to fall apart the as you explore materials outside of the graphite norm.

You can use it to help discover a starting point, but relying on it to give you an absolute number is a mistake simply because it is imprecise, the only way to "know" the casting power of a rod is to stick a line on it, walk outside and cast it. Adjust accordingly.

You cannot simply put a number on everything. Its tilting at windmills.

Also, globbing more epoxy on a rod should actually cause it to slow in action, not speed up, as the weight you're adding to the rod will cause it to load further and with less effort. If you've managed to make the rod stiffer, I'd suggest not gluing a coat hanger to the side of your rod.

gfen, a few things:

1. stop giving away my trade rod building secrets. WTF!

2. i agree with your lining theory, it is a start point. though i dont have one of each size and style line to try out on a rod so i use css to get me where i'm gonna start my educated guess from. then it's how "fast" the rod feels without line on it then i start point for a guess at a line. like this build, if it stays within the 7wt range after wrapping and epoxy i'll throw my 7wt rio gold on it, if i want it to be a bit faster i know where i can get a sage quiet taper II 6wt line for it. and i'm hoping to make that work. i really like the long taper lines. and if i think i should go heavier i'll try to find a triangle taper wulff, and use that. wanna try one of those lines as well just haven't bought one.

Back