help with fly line

fishrich

fishrich

I am new to fly fishing and need some advice!
I have a 3 wt rod, what kind (brand) of line do you think is the best? :-D

Cue the 65 different answers, followed by Mo saying that he uses the $10 stuff and it's just as good.

:)

In all honesty, i just use Cortland 444, but that's because I never tried anything else, and it has always worked fine. I don't think it matters that much. Fly lines are overpriced, in general.

On Sale and Cheap !!!

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/2249,83306_Orvis-Hy-Flote-Silver-Label-Fly-Line.html

I started with the scientific angler trout line,because it was cheap.I switched to orvis wonder line and I noticed a big difference.I wanted the silver label ,but since they did not have the color i wanted,I got the wonderline for the silver label price.(Barry at the sporting gentleman is a great guy)I do use the silver label on my bass rod and don't see much difference between the 2.(aside from the 20.00 difference in price)So I guess don't buy the cheapest line you can find,but don't spend a fortune either.
I noticed you live in ridley(I'm in swarthmore) if you ever want to hook up pm or e-mail me.I fish ridley ,chester, and all the local rivers and streams.
good luck

albatross wrote:
Here's the really cheap factory seconds line Discount Fishing Tackle.

thats what I usually buy...I did pick up an 8wt intermediate 2 years ago for 18 bucks on sale on the orvis site, though. And don't forget the leaders and tippet in the fall I bought for .29 each...good to check every now and then...If I didn't I would probably never buy Orvis anything...

After posting a similar question about a year ago, I bought a Cabela's Prestige Plus line. Good price and it has done well so far.

E-bay has some good deals.........just bought a RIO trout taper, medium action fly line for like 36 bucks...........rio is good stuff.....just make sure your line is suited to your rod...fast action, medium action, ultra fast action.....it gets to be a pain in the keester......most brands will work, especially for a 3 wt where you are not worried about making a country mile long cast....3 wts are generally up close and personal rods and have no need to shoot a ton of fly line

SA is good stuff
cortland is good stuff
climax is cheap and is OK
airflo is good stuff

never really liked the cabelas stuff

bottom line is buy within in your price range and buy something you will be comfortable with-- color etc.....

Back