have a question about a rod

daman1277

daman1277

As you all know from the swap forum section I am looking for a 10' 3wt. Well I think I found a possibility and want opinions on it. I have a 12' crappie action spinning rod with a blank handle to position the reel wherever you like on the handle. So just to see if it would hold a fly reel I put my spare Cortland 4/5 wt reel on it and it fits. Now I would mostly be using this rod for tightline nymphing so would not be a lot of casting with it. Though I'm sure it would cast if I had to. So what is everyone's opinion on this idea / setup?

Dear Daman,

I'm sure you could find a way to make it work but personally I think that fishing with a 12' rod anywhere but on a very large stream or river would be more trouble than it is worth.

Think about where you like to fish and think about using a 12' rod on those streams? Will you be able to keep a rod of that length out of overhanging tree limbs, will you even be able to walk to the stream, and along the stream, with the rod assembled?

If you think you can then by all means give it a try.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Well it breaks down and most streams I fish are free over hanging trees just bushes

I personally am a direct fan of trial n error, go for it who knows, you might stumble on to a great set up!

And another one that I've heard of but never fished, guys running straight mono on a fly set up, no fly line, less spooked fish. Though your fishing range would be short, and at that point you could prob just use the crappie rod as a drift pole.

Heck I am in the r&d phase of a 7' 10wt, made out of a pole I broke a while back and a random tip section to a spinning/casting pole. Took it out last night and for everything other than hooking it up to a large fish, the pole is pretty fun, false casting not so much but I could roll cast all the way across my little practice hole 40-50' wide. Ha ha ha 7' 10wt med/fast action(weight figured by the common cents system) running 8wt line! Never have I had a pole that made 8wt line feel like 4wt!!!

I will prob hear tons of crap for such a pole, but I don't really care, it's a fun pole and I gave nothing invested in it other than time...

Though on the down side the butt section is from a 5wt, so I would not be surprised if I hook up to a large fish and the butt explodes on me! :p

12 foot rod for nymphing, maybe my 7.6 is too short. I knew I was doing something wrong.

most of the streams I fish, I'd never be able to pick the rod up vertically to release the fish. but if you have the right place to use it, go for it.

Back