fly line dressing

mikeccp

mikeccp

I always keep my line clean,but have never used any treatments on it.I was wondering what products if any some of you more experienced guys use.Thanks in advance.

I clean them with Ivory soap ONLY..Then dress them per the manufacturers suggestions as some use special floatant for their lines..Biggest problem with lines is water getting into the core from the end, then its all down hill from there. Seal the end of your line before going out..

I was wondering the same thing. I have pulled all of my line off of the reel and reeled it back on through a wet paper towel, but never dressed it with anything. I have the orvis wonderline generation 3 line. It has the loop on the end so I didn't cut it. I guess thats a good thing both because my knots are pretty sloppy and the end is sealed.

It might be "overkill", but at the end of each day, I wipe my line(s) with SA line dressing and then wipe with a clean cloth. I've never actually cleaned them ie. with soap, but it is amazing what comes of the line after wiping off the dressing. My last line was a 4 or 5 year old Wulff TT and it is still good to go after the daily wipe down. This year I'm using a Rio line with a welded loop, so hopefully no worries about water getting into the line.

Regards

i clean it with dish liquid.then apply albolene.

albolene is a makeup remover.

i stumbled onto this idea on another site.it works.

Used to do the soap and water thing - until I found this stuff. It looks pricey, but since you only need 3 or 4 drops on a gun cleaning patch, it is actually pretty inexpensive. I've wiped down a line that was just cleaned with the soap and water treatment, and actually removed more dirt. It doesn't gum up the line, and wears off after a long day of fishing, so you have to re-apply it at the end of the day. Takes me less than two minutes to do the whole line.
A side benefit of this product is that you'll feel that the line is significantly slicker, and shoots better than new. It uses teflon instead of silicone, and will not harm your line. It seems to make the line float better as well. I've been using it for 3 years now, and it really does work well.

This product is called Zip Cast, and can be found here:

http://flyreeldots.com/

Heritage Angler - Ditto - Zip Cast is great stuff.

One thing I've found is that it doesn't last very long (the slickness part). I have had best success using it to clean my line just before my fishing trip for maximum effect in giving my line a slick feel for the day. If you're a procrastinator, it's right up your alley.

Thanks again guys.There is so many products out there ,I just wanted some input as to what is the best.I like the orvis wonderline I have and want to prolong the life as long as possible.Just want too add this is the best site for fly fishing I have found.Good job to all.

I have used Sci-angler stuff, umpqua stuff

but the best so far has been --angling evolution's-- THE RENEW cleaner system-- about 20 bucks, it comes with a line cleaner box and solution..........stuff works pretty good

Back