fly fishing rod carrier - roof vault

L

LLR

I am looking to make the purchase of a fly fishing rod carrier - roof vault. Does anyone have suggestions if one brand roof vault is better than another? Thanks

Roof vaults just makes your vehicle an obvious target for scum bag dirt ball thieves who unfortunately are becoming more common on our waters....

They are expensive and do mark your vehicle as they contain expensive fly gear. The time it takes to rig a fly rod up is little to the inconvenience of stolen equipment that may not even be insured if stolen from your car.

I have a four rod vault www.denveroutfitters.com on my 2005 Jeep Liberty. I love it.

I really was impressed with what the guide had on his Toyota truck and made me want to buy it. It is not inexpensive.

I used it for the first time this weekend on the Tobyhanna.

Two of those slots are for my fly rods. The other two are for my grandfather's favorite fly rod and my father's favorite fly rod. I try to fish with all four of them.

I stay at the Econo Lodge in White Haven. The husband and wife owners know me. My name is Owen which is not a common name but they know me as the guy with the tubes on my car.

I drove the back roads through coal cracker country instead of I-81. I drank some beers and watched the end of the Carolina-Washington basketball game. The bar was Peb's Pub in Port Carbon, PA. That was my first time there.

Two customers noticed me park and asked me about what was on my Jeep. They were friendly and curious.

The rod vault lets me take my time to get my knots just right before I arrive at my fishing destination. The other thing that is really good about it is that I fish with 9 ft. rods. Last year these rods were too big for my Jeep Liberty and I had to stick them out the window which let the mosquitoes in.

Once they get in I can't get them out, and they start feeding on me when I don't need to be distracted while driving.

I understand how they could attract thieves, but I don't store my fly rods in the vault unless I am traveling. I have too much money invested in the fly rods to just let them be exposed for a thief to break in to my rod vault.

I bought a Titan rod vault (the predecessor to the Denver rod vault) probably 6 or 8 years ago for use in Montana. Originally, I mounted it on a roof rack that I put on a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited that I had at the time, but I later put in on a rack that I built for the bed of my Polaris Ranger side x side.

These rod vaults are much more prevalent in use in the west than in the east, and although I never kept rods in them except when I was going to and from fishing, I never felt that they attracted thieves any more than my unattended vehicle attracted thieves regardless of where it was parked (except in my garage). My rod vault locked onto my roof rack, and my rods and reels were also separately locked inside the rod vault. However, the rod vault’s keys were generic, and I discovered that I had the same keys for locking my RV, and for something else too that I had.

If I was going to buy another rod carrier for the top of my vehicle, I can’t think of a better rod carrier than these rod vaults. If there was/is one, I’d probably have bought one.

John

For those that use them great for you, good luck. My intent is not to highjack the thread but to make forums users aware this type of crime is happening on our waters.

Lets say hypothetically that i'm a Craigslist criminal who sells high end fly gear after stealing it from angler parking areas and boat ramps.

I pull into a popular fishing destination access area and start shopping. Who's vehicle do you think I'm targeting first?

The one ones with rod vaults and a bunch of FF bro stickers or the vehicles with no rod vaults and nothing identifying them as fly anglers?

As a victim of such crime I'm just saying be careful out there and mitigate the risk.

Don't keep gear in your car if possible and certainly don't advertise you have the gear in the first place.

chromefinder makes a very valid point. I do all of my fishing at a R&G club and I know everyone there. I use the vault to move around while I am there and keep all of my fly fishing gear in my motel room when not fishing.

Many years ago I had my car broken into during the middle of the day at a restaurant because I carelessly left a radar detector visible, which I gladly would have given away. The thieves stole my cassette tapes which meant a lot more to me than the radar detector every did.

I learned my lesson the hard way.

Wouldn't being parked in an angler lot or boat ramp lot be enough of a sign that there maybe fishing gear in a car? I think your giving the common thief more credit then they deserve. They are not targeting high end fly fishing gear only. They will break into any car and take anything not nailed down including the change in your cup holder.

I don't take extra gear and I leave nothing in the car except my sneakers. If I couldn't fit my assembled rods in my truck then I would have a rod vault as well. Not to protect my rods from thievery but transporting them assembled. They would not ever be left in the vault unless I can see the vault.

Back