gfen

is a crapshoot.

Attachments

• IMGP4739.jpg
    IMGP4739.jpg
    498.6 KB · Views: 12
O.M.G.

gfen scored.......with Craig. :lol:

Look at the canted guides - that's just too cool. Maybe Hardy would trade you a couple of Perfects for it. Or maybe it would bring enough on auction to buy a manly vehicle.

Made in 1905, eh? I'm thinkin' it's a good day for you.

Life IS good! :-D

Hope so, the post on clarksclassic is up. I'm very positive that the tiptops are unoriginal based on some other examples I saw, though. That's gonna kill the best value. The serial number starts with an A, which is a very good sign. First production of this rod was 1903, so that's good.

edit: Correction, 1915 according to this site. OK, so its only 96 years old. The 8'6" Fairy was also, supposedly, Heminway's favourite rod.

SCORE!!

I'm too scared to buy used cane. I'm going to live vicariously through your 2nd hand bamboo exploits.

gfen wrote:
The 8'6" Fairy was also, supposedly, Heminway's favourite

You never told me you knew Hemingway. :cool:

turkey wrote:
I'm too scared to buy used cane. I'm going to live vicariously through your 2nd hand bamboo exploits.

Dear turkey,

If you are scared to buy used cane you are really missing out in my opinion.

It's not like they are actually making any 75 year old rods right now, and if they are they are often asking the kind of money for a new knock-off that is reserved for a well conditioned fishable original.

That's not meant as a knock on today's builders, so please don't take it that way. Cane isn't for everyone but I think everyone has a place in their heart for trying a cane rod.

There are plenty of rather pedestrian cane rods out there that are available used for $ 300.00 or less. Many of them are nice rods and if they aren't trashed and mis-represented when sold to you they can be sold for what you paid as you experiment.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

TimMurphy wrote:
Dear turkey,

If you are scared to buy used cane you are really missing out in my opinion.

It's not like they are actually making any 75 year old rods right now, and if they are they are often asking the kind of money for a new knock-off that is reserved for a well conditioned fishable original.

That's not meant as a knock on today's builders, so please don't take it that way. Cane isn't for everyone but I think everyone has a place in their heart for trying a cane rod.

There are plenty of rather pedestrian cane rods out there that are available used for $ 300.00 or less. Many of them are nice rods and if they aren't trashed and mis-represented when sold to you they can be sold for what you paid as you experiment.

Regards,

Tim,
I'm about to pull the trigger on a 7' 4wt blank with fitted ferrules from a Virginia builder. I'll finish the build myself to save me some costs. Ever since I handled a cane rod I can't stop thinking about how the action felt. I might even post some pics of the process if it looks favorable...hopefully I don't mangle it.

Tomato stick!

RowJimmy wrote:
Tomato stick!

It better not be. My tomato plant is actually laying on the ground right now so one way or another, I'll end up usuing it.

Dear turkey,

Take your time and remember that everything is reversible before the varnish goes on.

The worst case will be that you will build a rod that you are proud of. There's no way that's a bad thing.

Good luck!

Regards,

TimMurphy wrote:
There are plenty of rather pedestrian cane rods out there that are available used for $ 300.00 or less.

Like the South Bend 359 I also got with the Hardy for $35?

Although I noticed when I got home its missing an eye. I swear I would've caught that, or he would've said so I honestly wonder if it didn't pop off when I tested it. Whatever, it tossed a HDI, err, 6WF pretty darn well regardless.

Whatever.

I admit, I bought it to flip it.

I'm looking at you, Mr. Turkey. Interested?

Any interest in a trade for a helios?

No.

gfen wrote:
TimMurphy wrote:
There are plenty of rather pedestrian cane rods out there that are available used for $ 300.00 or less.

Like the South Bend 359 I also got with the Hardy for $35?

Although I noticed when I got home its missing an eye. I swear I would've caught that, or he would've said so I honestly wonder if it didn't pop off when I tested it. Whatever, it tossed a HDI, err, 6WF pretty darn well regardless.

Whatever.

I admit, I bought it to flip it.

I'm looking at you, Mr. Turkey. Interested?

Finish that blank Turkey. You'll end up with a much better rod for fishing. Just sayin.............

HOLY COW GFEN!!CONGRATULATIONS!!!

its an interesting thing, that's for sure. balances quite nicely with the now second oldest piece of tackle i own, a 1939 medalst 1496, which will have to do 'til i kick over a rock and find a bougle or perfect under it.

i still need to identify a decent line for it, the old british system is baffling. they say it fishes with an Corona Superba Fine I.D.I. line, but I have no real idea what that is either in the American letter standard or the modern AFTMA standard.

gfen wrote:
i still need to identify a decent line for it, the old british system is baffling. they say it fishes with an Corona Superba Fine I.D.I. line, but I have no real idea what that is either in the American letter standard or the modern AFTMA standard.

those guys over on Fly Fish Ohio might know how that old rating translates to AFTMA. I feel like I read something about this on their site.

There's lots of charts for the American letter coding, IE, HDH (6DT) or HDI (6WF). But while you could find an IDI (technically, although its lighter than I thinnk anything at the time?), that's not the same as Corona Superba I.D.I. Extra Fine.

FFO's chart, note the lightest they go is IHI, a 2wt. THis is a fine rod, but it ain't no 2wt. :)

Schott Silk Line guide goes into some detail, which includes British wire guage for the tip and the taper of the line, and its total weight in drams...but seriously, do you see WTH I'm dealing with? British wire gauge! Drams?!? DRAMS?!!

edit: although apply my drug addled brain to this PDF, leads me to believe its a 4DT rod? that seems light, but i've got a line to try it out with.

Back