another question

eseabee1

eseabee1

This goes along with me asking about reels . I just got done watching some videos on youtube , This one guy said that the reel is not important that the rod is most important. Just want some thoughts on that .

I would wonder in what context the comment was made?

For most trout in PA the reel just holds line and balances the rod. That being said, on a 5wt rod that "may" see a decent fish, a good drag is like a concealed carry weapon (it's better to have and not need, than need and not have). I've put 1, or maybe 2, fish on the reel in ~15 years of fly fishing. Also, I don't like a heavy, bulky reel, with a loud click, that is mostly associated with cheap reels (which is personal preference).

Fishing for steelhead in Erie, trout on 90%+ of PA trout streams or smallmouth....cheap clicker will work. Big water, big fish, high flows, light tippets, carp or salmon river fishing......disc drag or something better than click drag would be a better option. Hell, I've fished an old Hardy clicker from 1986 - 2006 on the Beaverkill, Penns and other bigger waters and never had any issues. Learn to palm the drag and it's as good as anything.

Lots of these recent posts stress that the reel needs to balance your rod. I've been at this for over 30 years and I've never once considered balancing a rod nor did it factor in my purchasing. I must have missed that memo. Guess that's why I'm so bad at this.

I've been looking at combos lately and it seems like the reel to rod price ratio is about 40% to 80%.

Back