age old question

B

buckbarrett

I would put this in a poll if I could figure it out.
How do you all keep your feet from freezing?
I have tried two pairs of socks with one being a Thinline, but come on, that doesnt really work. I thought about trying the battery operated heated pair, but am afraid of being shocked and ending up with an afro, a multi-colored afro, which is much worse in todays fashions. What are some of your methods for icicled toes?

After gleaning the advice for years off this board, I have settled on this combo, which performed amazingly well last weekend:

-- polypropylene or polyester socks (three pairs for $3) to wick moisture away from feet; covered by

-- thick 100% wool over-the-calf socks.

I was at an Army/Navy Store and they had a "boot liner" made of 100% polypro and also had the wool socks. Wool insulates even when wet, so a slightly damp sock, which has been my bane for several months now didn't even faze me.

I'll second the poly/wool. It's the best combination that I've found.

When Jack jumped up to answer first I thought maybe I read the title of the thread wrong...OK, so its not an old age question, but I agree with his answer anyway.

JackM wrote:
After gleaning the advice for years off this board, I have settled on this combo, which performed amazingly well last weekend:

-- polypropylene or polyester socks (three pairs for $3) to wick moisture away from feet; covered by

-- thick 100% wool over-the-calf socks.

I was at an Army/Navy Store and they had a "boot liner" made of 100% polypro and also had the wool socks. Wool insulates even when wet, so a slightly damp sock, which has been my bane for several months now didn't even faze me.

I'll fourth Jacks recommendation with an emphasis on the Bold charactreristics above. It is imperitive they be 100% wool. I used three different wool blends this weekend and my feet froze in all of them. I'll add that all you have to do is get out of the water and move your toes around and they warm up fast. But it is better when they don't get cold to begin with.

Stay away from Cotton. Cotton is the enemy.

Does anyone have any good recommendations for brands of these 100% wool, thick socks? Some of them are very expensive, and if you lose one, you go arrrgggghhhh!!!!. Also many of the wool socks I've bought wore out very quickly at the heel.

One of the best pairs I ever had were Wigwams. I had them for years and they didn't wear out. Now if I could only FIND them.

Here is a canadian manufacturer. there is an exchange rate difference but it isn't mch. From $10.00-$20.00

custom woolen mills Socks

Do a google search for 100% + Wool + Socks. There are lots of places that have socks at just over $10.00/pr.

I wear a single pair of fleece socks, they wick the sweat away and keep my feet warm. Most winter steelhead pros wear neopreen bootfoot waders to add extra warmth. There are battery powered heat socks, and some higher tech socks that warm on body contact.

Back