Zip front waders good idea bad idea?

T

trike23

The time has come to buy a new pair. Already decided on the patagonia rio gallegos. I really like the wool lined booties for all the tailwaters I fish and it cant hurt come steelhead season either. Also seen many good reviews as far as durability . Now just to decide on zip front or no zip front. I absolutely love the idea of being able to just un zip and go get rid of some coffee. But I am equally worried about leaky waders. It just seems the zipper would be a recipe for disaster. I know many of the big brands have zip fronts now so surely some can give some advice.

I think the zipper is like a skylight, its nice at first, but at the end of the day its still just a hole in the roof. I think you'll eventually have a problem with the zipper.

problem is the under garments might not have a place to let out (if ya get my drift). then ya have another dilemma.

Well said boychick. I just purchased new waders and stopped for a second to consider the zip fronts. Nope not for me. My reasoning was simple, why start out with a hole when their really is no good reason for a hole. I don't pee enough stream side to make having a zipper worth the risk.

I think the zipper is like a skylight, its nice at first, but at the end of the day its still just a hole in the roof. I think you'll eventually have a problem with the zipper.

true, but considering Patagonia's exceptional warranty and customer service, I don't see this as an issue...if I have the coin, Patagonia is always at the top of my list, and if you do some serious shopping, the impact of true 'retail' for their stuff can usually be avoided.

Zip front a good idea? If you've got to tinkle REAL bad, they sure are.

Unfortunately, the zipper will leak. It may be 3 months or 3 years. Is the convenience worth the inconvenience? By having a zipper installed, you simply give yourself a place for leaks.

If you were taking votes, I'm a "no".

For myself my zip front waders have been awesome. I have the Reddington sonic pros and have had them for 2 years now and no problems. The zipper works great and has never leaked and I am very very tough on my gear.

No you're not.

i got a pair last year and have not looked back, they are great.

No leakage problem and much easier to put on out in the field.

Definitely a good purchase

Looks like the guys that actually have them, like them.

So, you can wee wee by just pulling down the zipper? The orvis ones lookalike the zipper ends too high up? Easy of putting them on and off isn't important to me. Being able to pee without dropping the suspenders would be nice. Still to expensive for me though.

I sprung for a pair of Simms G4Z's at the beginning of the year - and think that zipper is pretty handy. Really nice not having to remove my vest - and raincoat on a lousy day, and getting soaked while doing so - to take a pee.
It also makes getting the waders on/off easier. And hiking into the stream is a little nicer with it down - especially on a hot day. Even makes driving from stream to stream with my waders still on - which I do often - more comfortable.
And after one full season of use now, no leakage problems yet. And if it were to happen, I think (hope) that Simms would stand behind them.

So, from my experience so far, I would recommend getting the zipper.

John,

Saw the sonic pros online last night for $199.

Who needs a zipper. They will leak sooner or later... simply wear Depends.

Have been fishing the Sonic Pros now for years without issue. Can't speak highly enough of the zipper or the waders. I can't see ever going back to non-zip front.

Back