Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Wild Water Braided vs Blue Sky Furled Leaders

From Media Pa
Guys: I ordered and received my braided Wild Water Red Furled leader. Here is a link to the website

https://www.wildwaterflyfishing.com/leaderslines.html

I tied it on and have been practicing in the back yard and am pleased.

To be safe and have a backup I ordered another leader from Blue Sky

http://www.blueskyfly.com/

The Wild Water leader is almost twice the diameter as the Blue Sky one and on the back of the package Blue Sky states: "Furled tapered leaders are superior to braided or monofilament leaders. Braided leaders have a hollow center that tends to pick up water which, in turn, makes the leader heavier affecting casting performance. Since our furled leader has no hollow core, it does not absorb water and causes no spray of released droplets."

Did I tie on the wrong leader? And since I bought the Wild Water leader off of Amazon I did not see the language that red leaders were for "fishing deep" and green was the choice for all other kinds of fishing. What do you think is meant by "fishing deep"? Are Blue Sky leaders better than braided? Since this is the first time in 30 years of FFing that I am using a furled leader your thought are most welcome.

Posted on: 2012/2/10 11:45

Re: Wild Water Braided vs Blue Sky Furled Leaders

From Enola, PA
Different places use different materials, Wild Water could be using a thicker material for their furling and that is why it is larger in diameter.

The red is tied with fluorocarbon which sinks quicker which is why they may be saying to use it for fishing deep.

The Wild Water looks to be a furled leader so no need to worry about the difference between braided and furled.

My personal preference is to find someone on a forum that is furling in their basement then buy from them. usually can get 2-3 for the price of one blue sky, you can also get special colors and lengths. I like the leaders made from uni-thread for all around fishing, i impregnate some with WaterShed so they float and others i leave untreated so they sink. I like fluorocarbon for streamers.

Posted on: 2012/2/10 12:32

uhh...nevermind

From Hershey
I've been fishing Blue Sky furled leaders for some time now and really like them. I have only tried a couple others, neither was Wild Water. I have enjoyed the Blue Sky leaders and will continue to use them unless I find something better.

Posted on: 2012/2/10 14:35

From Enola, PA
Just curious - where are you seeing that the Wild Water are braided?

Posted on: 2012/2/10 14:56

uhh...nevermind

From Central Pa
What are the advantages of a furled leader over a tapered leader? I construct my own leaders from Maxima. Can you use an indicator with a furled leader?

Posted on: 2012/2/10 18:43

From Hershey
I have used indicators with my furled blue sky leaders, no sweat. I have recently been shown a new method using small dabs of strike putty spread about every 18 inches down the leader to a point about 3ft above the fly. I now prefer this method but strike indicators do work on the furled leaders.

Posted on: 2012/2/10 19:34

From Bucks County or Bridgeville
I have used all types of indies with furled leaders including thingamabobbers. I personally prefer feathercraft leaders over blue sky. The biggest reason that I use furled over hand tied or tappered is that I can get a much better drift when I used furled.

Posted on: 2012/2/11 17:38

From Central Pa
I bought a Blue Sky furled leader today. Will keep you updated how I like it when I get to the stream again.

Posted on: 2012/2/11 19:00

From Central Pa
Used my new furled leader yesterday and only caught 1 but it was a nice native brown in the 14" range. I really liked the leader a lot. It turned over my flies with ease. It is the 5'8" blue sky leader. I added 6" of 3x tippet and then had about 4' of 5x. I wanna use it more before I say I won't use anything else but so far, so good. No complaints!

Posted on: 2012/2/16 17:30

From NE PA
Quote:

blackandgold4ever05 wrote:
Used my new furled leader yesterday and only caught 1 but it was a nice native brown in the 14" range. I really liked the leader a lot. It turned over my flies with ease. It is the 5'8" blue sky leader. I added 6" of 3x tippet and then had about 4' of 5x. I wanna use it more before I say I won't use anything else but so far, so good. No complaints!

Excellent! Thinking of picking up one for my little rod.

Which size did you get? Light? Ultra light?

Posted on: 2012/2/16 20:13

Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf. You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time.

From Central Pa
Quote:

NorthBranch wrote:
Quote:

blackandgold4ever05 wrote:

Excellent! Thinking of picking up one for my little rod.

Which size did you get? Light? Ultra light?

I think "light". I have a 4wt. I think the "light" is 3-5wt. Not 100% sure on that though.

Posted on: 2012/2/17 4:18

From NE PA
Thanks, I planned on trying the "light" on my 4wt.

Posted on: 2012/2/17 4:50

Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf. You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time.

From Central Pa
Quote:

NorthBranch wrote:
Thanks, I planned on trying the "light" on my 4wt.

Please keep us updated. I'm interested to hear your thoughts and opinion.

Posted on: 2012/2/17 5:53

From NE PA
Will do.

Posted on: 2012/2/17 7:10

From Montgomery County
Try to avoid thingamabobbers on them. They can kink your leader. The toothpick kind work well and stay in place. Putty works as a sighter if you're not looking to float nymphs

Posted on: 2012/2/17 8:41

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com