Why Wading Socks?

hooker-of-men

hooker-of-men

In the past I've always used bootfoot waders, but I just inherited a pair that is the 3 components separately: waders, neoprene wading socks, and (once I buy them) wading boots. I don't completely understand what the role of the wading socks is in this set up. Are they just to keep your feet warmer than if you were wearing only the thin waders and wading boots? Do they add durability to the thin foot of the actual waders?

I'm curious because I'm thinking on buying wading boots, but sizing them seems difficult if I only want to wear the wading socks in cold weather situations. Wouldn't buying oversized boots to accommodate the socks make the boots useless for much of the year?

Huh? Never heard of that. What is the material that envelops your feet without the neoprene socks?

All of the stocking foot waders I am familiar with have attached neoprene boots, but I do recall back-in-the-day owning a pair of lightweight waders with feet that were not neoprene. The same material used for the upper was used for the bootie.

This type of wader style did not last long on the market because the booties bunched up in your wading boots. All manufacturers began to and still use attached neoprene booties for stockingfoot waders. Hope that helps.

They are the Orvis version of this:

http://df3zidyktuxw9.cloudfront.net/media/wysiwyg/800.RED.BALL.WADERS.P1090420.jpg

With these socks:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/191580736349?lpid=82&chn=ps

hooker-of-men wrote:
They are the Orvis version of this:

http://df3zidyktuxw9.cloudfront.net/media/wysiwyg/800.RED.BALL.WADERS.P1090420.jpg

With these socks:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/191580736349?lpid=82&chn=ps

^ that's it!

The only purpose for those neoprene oversocks is to cut down on abrasion of the wader feet. I say, why not use them. The boots you buy will fit the same when you buy a pair of modern waders with integrated neoprene feet.

I wore them for an entire season. The booties bunch up in your wading boots as you walk. That's why 99.9 of the stocking foot waders sold have neoprene booties. I can only guess that wearing neoprene socks prevents this from happening and would add to durability as well.

Therefore my suggestion is to purchase wading boots large enough to accommodate the neoprene socks. Further, if the waders don't work out or wear out, the boots you purchased will fit well the more conventional stocking foot waders having attached neoprene booties.

I wear wading socks when I'm wet wading without my footed waders to fill the void in the boot. I have always assumed that's what they are for. For my footed waders I wear a pair of dress socks over them to help them on and off and also to help resist abrasions to the wader foot.

Ok, thanks; this makes more sense now. I was coming at it from the perspective that, if the booties/socks are only going to make my feet hot and uncomfortable during the summer, I could just avoid both the booties and buying wading boots altogether. Was thinking I'd wear an old lightweight pair of hikers or something over the wader feet. I hadn't thought about the utility of the wading boots in the future when I upgrade waders. Sounds like I will embrace the booties.

Thanks, dudes.

I consider these an important development in tackle history though like most things a transitional one.

Yellowstone Angler did a wader review a year or two ago and these were the non-breathable comparison control. I disagree that they have no breathability, but they clearly don't have as much as modern breathables.

The sock fit is excactly as Afishanado says: they bunch up and eventually start pulling down, and are the antithesis of comfort. The separate neoprene bootie worn over them can help significantly, but does not 100 % solve the bunching problem. I still own and use a pair that way, though as more of a backup or an invasive waters option.

On the plus side, when other breathables lose their waterproofness, these keep going. They take repairs well. A combination of goop thinned with toluene in several coats is a very durable repair on these. I have worn them in winter with fleece pants and poly liner/wool socks and felt pretty good, though the wading boot has to be big enough to accommodate the bulk.

At the time they came out they were something of a revelation in comparison to rubber or neoprene waders, especially if you liked to hike in.

However, a modern breathable vs. the Red Ball flyweight is like a nice, comfortable chair vs. a wood stool during extended periods of sitting.

My take:

1. You gonna sweat like crazy in those waders! Been there, done that (the red ball version). No breathability. Almost as bad as neoprene's.

2. Stocking foot waders rock; far better than bootfoots IMO.

3. If I were you, I'd put away the waders as an emergency back up pair. I'd buy a pair of wading shoes and relegate the booties and shoes as a wet wading set up. But I'd keep wearing whatever bootfoot waders you have until they wear out.

4. When they do wear out, I'd replace them with modern breathable stockingfoot waders. You'll already have the boots then.

poopdeck wrote:
I wear wading socks when I'm wet wading without my footed waders to fill the void in the boot. I have always assumed that's what they are for. For my footed waders I wear a pair of dress socks over them to help them on and off and also to help resist abrasions to the wader foot.

^^This is the primary reason I wear them, though they originally sold to me on the premise that they should be worn over the wader booties to slow the wear on them. I have phased out the later use due to the excessive bulk issue. They are perfect, however, as a wet wading space filler between my feet and the boot.

Back