Western States all-around rod weight

F

foxfire

Heading out West to the Big Horn in September and only want to take 1 rod on the plane. Can't decide on my 5wt or 6wt. I've never fished the BH but have fished The Snake River in Jackson using a 5wt. I know not much difference, but any advise?? Both rods are 9ft.

6wt, no question. A 6wt does the lighter stuff better than a 5wt does the heavier stuff...If that makes sense.

(Clearly the 5wt is better for the lighter stuff, and the 6 wt is better for the heavier stuff, but overall the 6wt is more versatile.)

Thanks Swattie! That's the feedback I was hoping to gather!!

Take the rod that you like to fish the best, and for the type of fishing you think you’ll be doing.

The Bighorn will be probably be relatively low, with lots of moss, and you might be fishing Tricos in the morning, some hoppers in the afternoon, and nymphing throughout the day with small sowbug or scud imitations, etc. For me, either a 5 or a 6 would work, however your preferences may be different.

Swattie87 wrote:
A 6wt does the lighter stuff better than a 5wt does the heavier stuff...If that makes sense.

Agree ^

I'ts usually better to be over than under-gunned.

Don't forget the wind..... another reason for the six weight.

Depends on which one will spook the fish the least.

Great insight. 6wt it is.

9' 5 weight always served me well.
But I fish only dry.......

I’ve been on that river several times and would not go without both those weights. That being said the if I were to take only one then it would be the six wt for the reasons posted. Streamers should work then too.

There are nice sturdy rod cases that hold two rods. I got one for pretty cheap on line somewhere. I’m a no tripper this year so you are welcome to borrow it for your trip. PM me if you want to take it.

fritz wrote:
I’ve been on that river several times and would not go without both those weights. That being said the if I were to take only one then it would be the six wt for the reasons posted. Streamers should work then too.

There are nice sturdy rod cases that hold two rods. I got one for pretty cheap on line somewhere. I’m a no tripper this year so you are welcome to borrow it for your trip. PM me if you want to take it.

^ good point and generous offer by Fritz.

Why not use a double rod case or even tape two tubes together and take both rods.

Since you're fishing the Big Horn, one can assume you will be fishing it in a drift boat. One of the advantages of being in a drift boat as opposed to wading is you can rig up two rods with different kind of rigs and flies and easily switch back and forth. Two examples are rigging a nymph rod and a dry fly rod and fish a dry when you see a rise while nymphing or maybe dedicate the 6 wt as a streamer rod and pound the banks in a great looking area as you pass through.

Anyway, good luck on your trip and be sure to post a report so many of us fishing close to home can live vicariously with your trip out west....:)

Take the 6 wt. We have fished the North Platte in Casper Wyoming the past 3 years and going again in September fishing with The Ugly Bug Fly Shop and we used 6 wt rods. I always take my 6 with me and also use it, but 1 year I also took my 5 wt. I used the 5 for about 20 minutes and put it away because of the wind that always blows out there. You should still take both of them in case you are going to fish some smaller streams on your trip. Good luck!

One other thought...If you’re set on only taking one rod, and take the 6wt, you can also take your reel (or spool) with your 5wt line on it, and fish it on the 6wt. The 6wt will handle a little different with the 5wt line on it but it may give you some additional flexibility if lighter or more delicate presentations are called for. Or if you have to bomb casts from a far distance with dries...Underlining may help you a bit in that scenario. I do it intentionally sometimes if I’m expecting to make really long casts with dries. Easy enough to stash another reel or spool somewhere in what you pack.

I wouldn’t recommend the 5wt with the 6wt line on it for the kind of fishing you’ll likely be doing. (It’d be fine if you were small stream fishing, but on longer casts it’ll make it the 5wt handle like a dump truck.) Another reason to go with the 6wt IMO.

same as the best eastern all around rod, the 6!

I’m with the two rod camp if it’s possible. You never know when you can have a rod bust. Always need a backup on a trip like that. And if you’re fishing from a boat its nice having two rods rigged. One streamer and one dry or nymph. But if you are really limited to one rod it should be the 6wt.

Thank you fritz for the very generous offer!!! After all the great feedback, I like the advice of taking both the 5 and 6 so I have 2 rigs ready to go. I hate tying on and off again. Also like the idea of just taping the tubes together for easy transport!! Thanks guys!

On my last western trip, I was able to squeeze 2 - four piece rods into one tube.
I took a 9' 5 wght, and a 8' 6" 4 wght.
Gave me a lighter rod to use on small streams.
And a backup

Just fished two days with a 7/8 8’ fiberglass On the Green and liked it though I caught nothing. Met a guy with a7wt echo fiberglass and found it amazing.

all I ever use out west is a 9'- 6" 6wt. The ever present wind and the backbone to turn bigger fish makes a longer rod necessary...… I've tried using a 9' 5wt.(my eastern Penns Creek, Oil Creek, etc., rod) but found it inadequate for most big western rivers.....Also helps mending your line for longer drifts..... If I was buying a rod for fishing western rivers I would be looking at a 10' for a 5 or 6 wt. rod......

My western (and Eastern big river also) rod is a 9' 6" 5 wt Z-Axis. Starting using it when fishing with a guide on the Truckee and made one up from a blank when I got home. Have since used it all over CO and MT, and the upper Delaware.

I like the little longer length for mending long casts and having a little extra length for nymphing. Also, I think longer rods help pick up more line on a long cast to set the hook,

As far as weight, there are days when maybe a 6 wt (or heavier) would be better. I'm not sure one weight means all that much, so if I needed a heavier rod I go to a 7 or 8 wt. For example, a heavier line may help toss big foam salmon flies or grasshoppers better. Also, if you are going with those big articulated streamers a heavier line is helpful. As far as backbone, I lost a hog once on a tailwater withthe 5 wt that ran around a sharp rock. I'm not sure if a heavier rod would have helped to turn it. Have caught decent sized bull trout and Pyramid lake cutthroat on the 5 wt.

In general, don't feel intimidated - it is still trout fishing. Being higher elevation, larger rivers stay cold and the scenery can be fabulous, but finding fish and presenting a fly are still the same. Used to go to CO with a bunch of PA fishermen and their skills translated just fine.

Good luck.

Back