Waterproof cell phone case

KeithS

KeithS

I need to be available for work while wet wading. Does anyone have
a case they have had good luck with?
I'd love to bag the phone for the 3-4 hours that I'm on the water, but we serve an industry 24 hours, nationwide.

Otterbox is pretty much all you would ever need.

I've been waffling on buying an Ottercase for my phone. I'll probably wait until I'm finally swayed to buy the newer phone and buy the case for that.

I've given seriosu thought to one of those waterproof, generic, bags that kayakers carry also, but would probably just buy a real case.

Until then, a ziplock bag isn't ideal, but it protects it "good enough" should I take an emergency splash.

There are certain phones out there that are waterproof. I think Nokia sells atleast 1. I'm not sure of any cases, but I'm sure they exist.

There's always the old zip lock bag trick.

say this yesterday -

I am in the same boat from time to time

http://www.rei.com/product/752255

http://www.rei.com/product/800693

zip lock

I use one for my camera, but my phone goes in my shirt pocket and if I take a spill, I just get up quickly and the phone is barely wet. (However, I've only ever dunked twice)

pelican case is the best you can get

http://www.pelican.com/home.php

i have a 1040 for my phone and wallet
1450 for camera
1600 for big stuff

I use one of these . . .

http://www.simmsfishing.com/site/dry_creek_tech_pouch.html

Thanks. Just wasn't sure what has worked out best lately. The phone is the company's and they've already replaced a lost one once. Next replacement is on me. I'm not THAT good at wading.

The advantage of the the Otterbox stuff is that you don't have to take it out of it's protection to use it, as you would with the Simms bag or Pelican case.

I can see it now. Phone rings. Take the phone out of the case. Fumble. Cooked phone.

FWIW, I've used both the touchscreen function and talked through the ziplock bagged phone a few times.

It works.

I'd still rather have the Otterbox.

I've been looking for one myself and actually came across one that looks good and at a fair price. It's actually sold by RAM. The company that makes the ball and joint mounts for a lot of boating equipment among other stuff. I like the fact that you can have full use of the phone and if you drop it the case floats. The price is around $25-30. I'll try and post the link to the website but if it doesn't work just go to rammount.com and it's called the aqua box.
w.rammount.com/Products/AquaBoxMounts/tabid/125/Default.aspx

I have an Otterbox Armor. Got one on clearance at Amazon for $30. I'm using it with an iPhone 5S (TouchID fingerprint sensor does't work, but other than that it's great). Easy to put the phone in/take the phone out (too bulky for everyday use.) Touch screen work well, even under water. Good photo/video quality wet or dry.

I've used ziplocks, drybags, etc... all made using the phone a pain in the ***, and they always resulted in poor photos, as they invariably fogged up.

I don't need no stinkin case. Casio Commando for me. :) Been very happy with it.

Tried the Life Proof for a while. Great slim design and worked decent for underwater shots, but it made my voice sound like I was in a wind tunnel. Switched to the Otterbox Armour and have had no problems. Works fine underwater, but its a much bulkier design than the Lifeproof. Be sure to test the case without the camera in it...

I have an Otter case for my 4s, but not the waterproof one, I'd say it's more 'splash proof' than anything (and it worked well that one time it did get wet). If I had to have my phone with me constantly, I'd go with the LifeProof case, slimmer design and they seem to work well according to the handful of friends that are using them. I think the Otter has a bit more impact protection though, at least it should from the look and bulk of it.

If you have an iPhone, get a Lifeproof case. It is the best option I have found. You could chuck the phone out into a river without worrying about it damaging the phone (white case allows you to find it...as opposed to black). Lifeproof case allows you to skip insurance fees.

Architeuthis is correct...your voice going out can be very garbled. If you open the charging clip the sound quality is improved...but then you can fumble the phone into the water...which I did once into 2.5 feet of water. Blew the water out of the opening and the phone was fine. You can hear other people great. You can make under water movies/photos with nice results (to the point I don't carry my camera most of the time). When you are not in the water, and plan to talk a lot...a regular slim case would do. Still not perfect. I am at the point of having 2 cases.

There are a number of phones available that are military grade and or waterproof. If you are not a die-hard apple fan...look at those options. I have been buying only apple products since 1988...occupational hazard of being an Art Director/Graphic Designer.

Zip lock snack bag for me. Don't have to take it out of the bag to talk as it works just fine through the bag.

Back