Water Socks/Shoes with Breathables?

jifigz

jifigz

Has anyone ever tried to wear those really cheap and lightweight "water socks" with a pair of breathable waders? I am thinking that if the elastic of the "water sock" fits tightly around the stockingfoot of the wader you shouldn't get much sediment there. I may be wrong, however, as sediment might make its way through the mesh of the "water sock" itself. I was thinking about pairing a pair of those with some waist high breathables for backpacking into remote streams and camping/fishing for a few nights at a time. What says you?

similar but different...i wear mine with flats boots.

imho water socks or divers, windsurfers, SUP booties will likely tear, and also move when you walk.

When im blue-lining, i wet wade with a pair of Sperry watershoes. They have a decent sole with a toe guard. Beware though, way less grip than studs offer.

In a similar thread, I've wondered about the Simms boots that are more "shoe-like". I actually prefer more ankle mobility than boots offer.

I guess I could just wet wade in a pair of flip flops....that would most certainly be the lightest option for packing. But, even in the summer, that water will feel mighty cold most of the time.

Sounds like a rolled ankle waiting to happen. Walking on rocks in water socks doesn't sound all that comfortable.

I'll suggest an old pair of lineman's boots. Lace those baby's up and no rolled ankle.

I actually think the cause of rolled ankles is due to poor movement. When I used to have to wear boots for work, I was always jacking my ankles up. Now I wear flat soled low shoes with no support, and I never have problems. And my working environment is much more chaotic. Ankles are meant to be flexible, look how much they articulate compared to knees, elbows, etc

My ankle only articulates in one direction yet it always wants to go in the other direction. I think my ankles are normal. Does everybody else's ankles articulate east, west, north and south? Am I a freak of nature?

An old pair of sneakers will do the trick.

How about figure skates? They have that toe pick. That would be killer for gripping the bottom.

SteveG wrote:
In a similar thread, I've wondered about the Simms boots that are more "shoe-like". I actually prefer more ankle mobility than boots offer.

thats true, if you ever wondered why your balance seems so bad in wading boots its due to the ankle support.

i have waded in old sneakers and they are way more comfortable but you just feel a bit silly.

For lightweight warm weather wading, I wet wade, with one of three footwear solutions:

1) For significantly fast moving water and depths around waist high on average, I'll use neoprene socks and my wading boots. I can't afford to compromise on traction in this situation.

2) For "easy wading" situations like larger, slower creeks with well-defined trails on the bank and little in the way of obstacles, I'll just use a simple pair of Teva sandals. They're quick to dry and the sole is thick enough to keep pointy rocks from jabbing into my feet. There is a slight risk of a rolled ankle, I suppose, but I've never personally had trouble with that.

3) For blue lining, where the water is swift but shallow, and the rocks are often rounded, I like the feedback I get from wearing a pair of "barefooting" shoes. I prefer the Vibram KSO, and I'm on my second pair. The degree to which you can feel the ground underneath you is pretty awesome and really helps with stability. After a long time, some silt will manage to get past the elastic around the ankle, but they do a pretty good job of keeping it out (better than the water socks)...and really, it's a matter of sitting down on a rock for thirty seconds to give them a rinse. The main drawback here is that a seriously uneven surface may be uncomfortable to stand on...for instance, one single pointy rock on an otherwise flat surface. It'll feel pretty much like you might imagine the same situation barefoot.

Back