Warm Feet Help?

K

kcflyguy

Im sure its been asked a million times but here is a million + 1! Just wondering how you all keep your feet warm throughout the colder months while fishing? Any help on the subject would be great!

Thanks, KCF

Socks.

Buy wading shoes a size larger than normal, and wear a pair - or 2 - of thick warm socks

A few years ago a fishing buddy truned me on to Wigwam socks. Have'nt wore anything different since. Got them at Gander Mt about $13.00 a pair. Stay away from anything cotton.

silk stockings or other non cotton socks,then wool which wicks away moisture.Boot foot waders.

Dear kc,

I'm a diabetic with poor circulation so I know a bit about keeping my feet warm and comfortable in the Winter.

You need a thin silk or poly liner sock on your foot first. Without these thin socks to pass moisture from sweat away from your skin to the outer socks you're dead in the water before you start.

For an outer sock I'm partial to 100% wool but there are many different socks that will do the job. Just make sure you don't wear socks that are too thick, they can be too confining in your waders and actually make you colder by not allowing movement of your toes or allowing moisture to be quickly wicked away.

Bootfoot waders are much warmer than stockingfoot waders and wading shoes but you may not have that choice and all bootfoot waders are definitely not equal. Uninsulated or poorly insulated bootfoot waders aren't worth much.

If you are in the market for new waders or wading shoes make sure you try them on with the sock setup you plan on wearing in the Winter. It's important to know everything fits properly and you have the ability to wiggle your toes and feet inside the waders. Stuffing your feet in with an inch of socks can create more trouble than it solves.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

pete41 wrote:
silk stockings or other non cotton socks,then wool which wicks away moisture.Boot foot waders.

That. And bourbon.

I usually wear wool, but if it's really cold, my secret fleece socks come out! they are like little furnaces for the feet!
another tip is to wear looser fitting boots, tight boots restrict bloodflow and we all know what happens then!!

That. And bourbon.
oh,bad advice JDaddy~never drink alcohol to warm up unless you are a car radiator.

pete41 wrote:
That. And bourbon.
oh,bad advice JDaddy~never drink alcohol to warm up unless you are a car radiator.

Dear Pete,

I'm confused, I thought you never supposed to drink alcohol distilled through a car radiator?

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Those stick on heat pads. Same brand and product as the bags you shake to activate.

Polar Fleece socks. It's all you need.

The advice given with the liner socks followed by wool is solid.
I would add that I spray my feet with antiperspirant prior to putting on any socks. Keeps the feet from sweating and getting wet, further keeping your feet dry, warm and happy.

I usually wear a pair of wool socks I own that are like a half inch thick. Even with those on, my feet begin to numb after 45+ mins in the water. I found by getting out of the water for a 5-10 minute break warms them up enough for another stint. This is for the sub 25 degree days. Anything warmer than that, I find I stay warm enough that it eventually reaches my feet. Haha that can be my second tip: keep your core and legs super toasty and it will keep your feet warm.

I've tried everything said on here except the polar fleece socks. Nothing worked for me until I got insulated boot foot waders. Finally--toasty warm but very clumpy.

Fritz, what kind of bootfoot waders do you have? I want a set of simms xstreams but no luck finding a set anywhere!

Tilt, They are Cabela's. Neoprene with I believe 1000 gram thinsulate in the bootfoot. They are heavy but once I get to the stream I'm a happy camper. Good workout for the quads when walking in and out.

Back