Wading staff

PaulG

PaulG

I bought a new Dan Bailey wading staff and yesterday was the first chance I got o use it.

I wasn't very happy with it, it made to much noise banging against rock and other things.

Do you think there's anyway I I could dull the noise, maybe put so tape on it or someting...or is it back to the mop handle!

PaulG

Sorry could one of you guys move this to the gear talk fourm!

Thank you

PaulG

You could measure the tip then go to Home Depot or Lowes and look for a rubber foot that fits.

They also make some stuff that is like liquid rubber in a can. You can dip things in it and it coats it with a thick rubber film. Most hardware stores sell it.

PaulG,

Is it the bottom or the sides? If it is the lower side I was thinking maybe some pipe insulation?

metal on rock-staff or cleats are the kind of sounds fish pretty much take for granted as they are routine-I have found .
It's the BIG vibrations and water displacement and visuals that spook them.
While its not trout fishing-the lures we use down here all have rattles that send out vibs..however you can spook a school of reds by stepping down from the casting platform.
most of us used metal tipped staffs out West-no problem.Dans my man-John,actually.Streamer fanatic like me.
I preferred the fold-a-staffs that fit in a holster,myself.

I'm with pete on this one.
I think sloshing through the water is more likely to spook the fish than the tinging of your wading staff. Oz talksa bout it in "Underwater World of Trout." Great movies by the way.

I bought a Folstaf last year after knee surgery and I know what paul's saying about noise. Some day I'm going to dip it in some type of coating at work to help reduce noise. It's just that it's such an annoying sound hitting off rocks.
John

Back