Wading staff

H

hectortmc

Blew my one knee out and will need to get a wading staff. For those who use one old like to know what you use. Pros and cons. I have seen them on line but would like to know from some good old Pa boys what they like. Thanks

Well conventional wisdom will tell you to go Orvis collapsible with the carbide tip and holster holder for $99
However,two years ago I bought a Trecker collapsible online at Sportsmens Guide.Got free shipping and two of them for $79 and I love them!!

Collapsable hiking staffs are like $20 at sporting good stores including Walmart. Add a leash and you'll be set.

Get a Folstaff. Might seem pricey but its a quality piece and quality always sells itself. You'll only own it forever. I've had mine know for 15 plus years. Its got all the battle scares to prove it.

I first had folstaff and returned it to LLbean after numerous occasions of vapor lock, I could not break it down and had to return it that way. Bought the one at orvis at its perfect for me. It's a much better design than the folstaff imo.

My wife, my son, and I use a Swissgear telescoping hiking staffs. It has a very ergonomic grip and lanyard at the top. I use a carbiner clip to attach the lanyard to my fishing sling pack. You can set it and forget like I do (I use to hike in, navigate up and down banks, lean on in the creek when my back goes south), or you can collapse it to carry. I bought them at K-mart on sale for $14. I bought 4. It has never failed me.

I've had really good luck with the Folstaf. Very sturdy and I can really lean on it in bad spots if needed.
I had a cheaper one that was good for balance but if I got myself into a poorly selected spot or was crossing heavy water they didn't seem to hold up so well if I needed to lean on it or put any significant pressure on it.

Have a fishpond and one I purchased at Walwart both are similar the wart cost less $20. Nice to have when you don't have one. I personally would avoid collapsible multi piece ones as they all seam flimsy when you want stability.

The quick and dirty answer to the wading stick question is the Simms multi-piece wading stick. The virtues are its dependability, weight, and overall convenience. I have used many types and makes of the multi-piece wading sticks, and for me the Simms wading staff is the best. It ain't cheap, however.
As some have pointed out previously here, the telescopic type are prone to failure due to dirt and grit clogging the threaded joints. As for the Folstaff, the bungy cord slip joint type often stick and are difficult to pull apart. And they are not cheap either.
Taking all of this into account and experience with these items, I like the Simms wading staff. It is strong, the jointed sections reliable and the overall convenience leave little to desire.
All things considered, be safe and wade carefully.

Can't break down your Folstaff wading stick? Here's the solution. Give the joint a whack or two against your car/truck tire. Works every time. You'll be amazed.

Best advice I ever got came from this forum....go to a ski shop in the off season. Mountainside Ski and Sport in Mechanicsburg were kind enough to give an old single pole they had taking up space. They were happy to get rid of it. I was happier to have it.

FWIW - I've had Folstaffs in 2 diameters. The thicker one is definitely stiffer, which is comforting in heavy water. They included a packet of some lubricant, silicone IIRC, to put on the joints prior to assembly, which reduces the problem of the joints sticking.

I see Simms has/had two different models: the older aluminum one, around $100; and the newer graphite stick, around $150.

I've been usin a Hammers Collapsible sttaff purchased on Amazon for 4 years now, Current selling pice is $28.99.

I am a fair sised guy and have leaned hard on this staff without it giving way.

With any collapsible wading staff I suggest rubbing the joints with a candle to prevent sticking,

I use an Orvis collapsible - has treated me well in a multitude of fishing situations. A bit pricey, but very well-built. Love that I can pull it out of it's 'holster' and it builds itself. Never have had much of a problem breaking it down. Nice comfortable cork grip, and the carbide tip is key.

Back