Wading shoes

T

tracker12

I hate to wear waders in the summer. Right now I waker a pair of sims neoprene socks and my Orvis wading shoes. I's like to have a pair of sandals but need some traction on the rocks. What do I need?

Studs. They will give you traction. Some boots have holes to insert studs, as the pair of Cabela's wading shoes that I most often use have.

I think there are pullover affairs that are said to give traction, too. Studded sandals? (A long time ago, I bought chains to put over my boots, and they did give traction. Unfortunately, they tended to bunch up and were a pain in the butt in that respect.)

Anyhow, if your boots take them, I recommend studs.

Something like the RipRap shoe or sandal from Simms, looks like they come with either rubber or felt soles:

https://www.simmsfishing.com/shop/mens/footwear

And I'm sure other companies are also making similar shoes and sandals...Keen, Teva, Chaco, Merrel, etc.

But I strongly recommend not wading with sandals. Because they have openings along the side. IMHO that is not safe.

There is broken glass and pieces of metal in streams. And broken edges of rocks can be sharp as a knife.

IMHO you want your foot completely covered.

I wear regular wading shoes for wet wading. And just wear 2 pairs of heavy wool socks to fill the extra space, then lace the shoes up tight as possible.

That is still a little sloppy, but it hasn't really been a problem.

I've used neoprene booties in the past but didn't like them. They are over-priced, wear out quickly, and are just one more thing to buy, store, and take on and off.

TK-2013-05-18-013-006-Harajuku.jpg

troutbert wrote:
But I strongly recommend not wading with sandals. Because they have openings along the side. IMHO that is not safe.

There is broken glass and pieces of metal in streams. And broken edges of rocks can be sharp as a knife.

I wear regular wading shoes for wet wading. And just wear 2 pairs of heavy wool socks to fill the extra space, then lace the shoes up tight as possible.

I've used neoprene booties in the past but didn't like them. They are over-priced, wear out quickly, and are just one more thing to buy, store, and take on and off.

Agreed, if you are wading in rocky streams or rivers, sandals don't protect your feet enough. Think about this > would you hike through rocks and boulders with sandals or would you wear hiking boots?

Neoprene socks work well for me under my wading boots. Anyone that has fished quite a bit for a few years has surely worn out a pair of stocking foot waders. LOL.....just cut the booties off your old waders and you're all set to use them for wet wading.

So you don't have to buy anything, but you still have to store them and take them on and off. But wool socks have to be stored and taken on and off too....:lol:

Two pairs of boots. Get a set in a smaller size for wet wading. I just wear a pair of normal hiking boots with a grippy sole for this.

Agree on the sandals not being a good idea. Unless at the beach, or to wear to and from the golf course. :-D

I thought these boots look interesting:

https://www.cabelas.com/product/CABELAS-BONESNEAKER-WADING-BOOT/1915741.uts?slotId=2

The Simms Intruder boots look pretty cool. Might try to find them somewhere and see how they feel.

The potential for sandals to be dangerous is certainly there, but the bigger problem for me has been getting pebbles stuck inside under your feet. You end up constantly shaking your feet off and sometimes getting some good bruises.

Personally, the thing I most enjoy about wet wading is traveling light and being unencumbered. For that reason, I would never go with the options of 15 eye knee high boots with 4 pairs of wool socks underneath. At that point, I might as well put on my waders. My option needs to be something light, comfortable enough that I don't even think about them, and basically slip-ons.

The best pair of shoes I've ever waded in were this model of Northface's Back-to-Berkeley:

the-north-face-back-to-berkeley-84-low.jpg

They were thick and durable and light enough that they didn't get waterlogged. This is basically the same approach as a good pair of old hiking boots, except with the ease of low-tops. (It should be noted I don't have much problem with ankle support. I regularly wade in Vans and Sperrys. The biggest problem there is, like sandals, bruising the soles of your feet.). Until they eventually fell apart, these things were gems. I also got them for like $40 from zappos, but I'm not sure how available they are now years later.

I picked up a pair of cheap, used kayaking shoes (hi-tops) on eBay a couple of months ago to use for wet wading this summer. Haven't put them to the test yet but they look like they'll work out well.

As I HATE waders with a passion, I wet wade exclusively any time the air temps hit the 50’s which means from April through November. All I use is my regular wading boot, a pair of heavy wool socks and a pair of 3.5 mm Neoprene “Guard Socks” WITH the built in gravel cuff like those sold by Simms and Patagonia.

Wool sock over bare foot, guard socks over wool socks, shoes over all. You will get the same fit as you have when you wear waders because the guard socks are the same thickness as the Neoprene bootees on waders and you will have the protection and grip of your regular wading shoe.

BTW - Regular Neoprene wading “socks” are usually thinner than the Neoprene found on wader bottoms which is why I don’t use them in lieu of the thicker Neoprene guard socks with built in gravel guards.

(NOTE - the Orvis version of a Neoprene guard sock is NOT as thick as the Simms or Patagonia or a regular wader bootee.)

If you need to tweak the fit, get a thinner or heavier wool sock. I like wool as the base layer because it feels more comfortable and less slippery over my foot when wet and adds some cushioning, although I am sure some folks put a bare foot into their guard socks or wader bootees.

The only thing that makes this combo better is a pair of zip-off lightweight nylon fishing pants tucked INTO the wool socks to protect your legs from critters & poison ivy. They WON’T help with nettle or thorns but are better than just shorts, especially if you have to walk through tall deer tick infested grass or brush on the way to the stream. Once there, you can zip-off the bottoms if you wish and fish in shorts. They are also comfortable, dry fast and add zero bulk.

In regards to wet wading specific footwear options; to beat an already dead horse, sandals are for optimists in sandy-bottomed places. You will regret owning them for wading in any rocky or urban stream.

Also, many if not all of the lightweight wading “shoes” I have tried have a completely different fit than a full sized shoe from the same manufacturer with bottoms that are a major compromise over what I want in a regular wading boot. In other words, sometimes they are way too tight with the wool sock/guard sock combo, with hardly if no felt options, limited choices that will accept studs and lousy protection on the sides and top of the shoe.

One piece of advice if you go the guard sock route, do your best to try them on as the sizing is suspect. Sadly, Simms completely redesigned their original product a few years ago. For me it is too narrow at the top and extremely difficult to get over my rather average 10.5 foot and a wool sock. Once on, it is excessively tight around my lower leg above the ankle. The Patagonia version has the same issues. Going to the next largest size doesn’t solve the leg-fit problem either and leaves me with a sloppy fit over my foot area.

The good news is Simms has a new version referred to as the "Guide Guard Sock” (that I haven't tried yet) which may be similar to the original in regards to fit. Right now, I am still using a couple of old, nearly shot first generation Simms Guard Socks while I wait to find something I like as much.

FYI:

Simms Guard Socks - Redesigned Version
Simms Guide Guard Socks - New Product
Patagonia Neoprene Socks with Gravel Guard

Good luck!

Bought a pair of Korkers, Crookies , something like that at Madison River Fishing Co. ( sure it's on their website) felt sole or studded w/neoprene sock that comes up to right below your knee and the boot is really lightweight......Been using every summer for about 10 years... They only last 2-3 seasons but from end of June till early Oct. I fish almost every day.....

I used to wear sandals but sometimes my feet would get scraped up a little so I went to these. Columbia drainmaker. They are great. Just like shoes and they dry quick.

https://www.columbia.com/mens-drainmaker-iv-shoe-1767611.html?cgid=activity-fishing-shoes&dwvar_1767611_variationColor=431#mid=paidsearch&nid=COL%7CBrand%7CCollections%2B-%2BPFG%7CBing%7CExact%7CUS&oid=PFG_Drainmaker_Shoes_General&did=columbia+drainmaker&eid=Microsoft%2BBing%2BAds%2BUS&s_kwcid=AL!3937!10!83494169574636!83494180164438&ef_id=WyKOGwAABSHYtTCe%3A20180618151718%3As&start=0

Solitariolupo wrote:
I used to wear sandals but sometimes my feet would get scraped up a little so I went to these. Columbia drainmaker. They are great. Just like shoes and they dry quick.

https://www.columbia.com/mens-drainmaker-iv-shoe-1767611.html?cgid=activity-fishing-shoes&dwvar_1767611_variationColor=431#mid=paidsearch&nid=COL%7CBrand%7CCollections%2B-%2BPFG%7CBing%7CExact%7CUS&oid=PFG_Drainmaker_Shoes_General&did=columbia+drainmaker&eid=Microsoft%2BBing%2BAds%2BUS&s_kwcid=AL!3937!10!83494169574636!83494180164438&ef_id=WyKOGwAABSHYtTCe%3A20180618151718%3As&start=0

How's the grip on their soles?

I see they have a couple options with the vents to drain water. I'm gonna have to go check out the Columbia outlet near me.

troutbert wrote:

What he said, and if you don't believe us, I'll show you the scar on the side of my foot from when I was a kid.

The good news is, the water was so cold that I didn't even feel it when I sliced my foot open on a broken Pepsi bottle. The indicator was someone else noticed the water was turning red around my feet. Bad news was it required 16 stitches to close it up.

Wearing sandals might actually be worse than bare foot because they are too lose.

I used to wet wade a lot, but I always wore an old pare of tennis shoes. Consequently I got very good at falling down without getting hurt. Somewhere along the line I got too old for that and discovered wading boots.

If it is slick and rocky, my preference is studded felt bottoms.

hooker-of-men wrote:
Solitariolupo wrote:

How's the grip on their soles?

I see they have a couple options with the vents to drain water. I'm gonna have to go check out the Columbia outlet near me.

I haven't had much problems with them.

I just returned from a four day weekend in Colorado and since I only wanted to bring a carry on we had to rent everything from Taylor Creek Fly Shop in Basalt, CO.

They provided Simms waders and wading boots. They outfit people from all over the world there from beginners to very advanced fly fisherman. They are obviously impressed with Simms products.

Nobody is going to last very long wet-wading the Frying Pan River below Reudi Reservoir. The water coming out of the dam is too cold, but the trout love it.

That is why people come from all over the world to fish there.

If you want to wet wade why not just wear old sneakers? Maybe that is my hick side coming through but it always works for me. Otherwise I mainly wear flip flops and have never had a problem. Sure, flip flops are a little more dangerous but I see no reason to buy special wet wading shoes. I wear waders when I need to stay warm and the water is cold, which is basically year round on most quality trout streams and about 3/4 of the year on other waters.

jifigz wrote:
If you want to wet wade why not just wear old sneakers? Maybe that is my hick side coming through but it always works for me. Otherwise I mainly wear flip flops and have never had a problem. Sure, flip flops are a little more dangerous but I see no reason to buy special wet wading shoes. I wear waders when I need to stay warm and the water is cold, which is basically year round on most quality trout streams and about 3/4 of the year on other waters.

When I was young, I used to wet wade almost all the time. I used old tennis shoes. I've even wet wade for steelhead. I remember shortly after buying a pair of stocking foot neoprene waders and wading shoes. Ordered them from Cabelas, especially for steelhead. First day I wore them, I tore a hole in them. Second time I wore them, I started the day wearing the neoprene waders, but it was a sunny day. After losing about 10 pounds to sweat in the morning, it was jeans and tennis shoes after lunch. Water temp was 33 but air temp probably hit around 50.

Besides, neoprene makes me look fat. ;-)

Cold never bother me back then. Now that I am older, it does, but still not as much as most people. So now I wear breathable waders all year long. I went steelhead fishing with pcray once, only to find both legs of my breathable waders had significant leaks.. After a few hours I was whipped. I didn't feel all that cold, but apparently the cold, and carrying around a couple extra pounds of water in my boots took more out of me than my body liked. I quit early and walked back to my car.

I'd never buy special wet wading shoes, either. But why use tennis shoes if I have wading boots which work much better. I only have stocking foot waders, and I simply use the same wading boots as I use with those waders. I'll use a neoprene "sock" so they fit the same as when wearing the waders, and if I can't find those, I'll wear a couple thick pair of socks (see Troutberts response).

Flip flop's suck. There is no other way to put it. I'd be better off bare foot then wearing those dang things. Hell, I'd be better off wearing flippers, since I'd be in the water most of the time, anyway. My wife who wears a size 6 has no problem getting around on them, but for a large male who wears size 13 shoes, they are hard to walk with on dry ground, let alone in a stream. They just don't fit right, and add a significant amount of instability. They are OK for walking to and from a public shower, but that's about it. So where most people might wear flipflops outdoors, I might wear a cheap pair of fabric sided water shoes. They don't provide any support, and minimal protection on the sides, but they do have some tread on the bottom. And since the fit like a shoe, I am not in danger of sliding sideways off of them.

Back