Wading Staff

salmo

salmo

I'm at that age where I really need a staff to help me while wading. I will be headed to the Bighorn River in early May. Any suggestions for a wading staff? I'll be flying do I guess that means collapsible. Thanks

My wife bought me the Fishpond staff for Xmas one year. It's sturdy and collapsible. I also have a pair of Leki trekking poles which I think would be even better. You could get a pair and split the cost with a friend.

I really liked my Simms staff right up until I lost it on Yellow Creek on Wednesday. With the higher flows since then it is probably in Raystown by now.

Whichever one you do get, remember to make sure it is attached to your wading belt.

I've been through a few of the cheaper ones but never felt like I could really lean on them.
I bought s Folstaf and I'm calling the search done.

I bought a couple pieces of PVC and glued them into a short "T" section about 4" long with a receiver for the cork handle. I'm able to jam the tip into the bottom substrate on long waits for bugs to hatch. It makes an acceptable seat for an hour or two. Not everyone sees the PVC section. They think I have the handle shoved up my butt.

troutpoop wrote:
I've been through a few of the cheaper ones but never felt like I could really lean on them.
I bought s Folstaf and I'm calling the search done.

I bought a couple pieces of PVC and glued them into a short "T" section about 4" long with a receiver for the cork handle. I'm able to jam the tip into the bottom substrate on long waits for bugs to hatch. It makes an acceptable seat for an hour or two. Not everyone sees the PVC section. They think I have the handle shoved up my butt.

^That's using your head, T-poop...:oops:

Bought a used folstaff on the swap forum a few years ago. I like it. The two and sometimes thee bottom sections get jammed together sometimes making it hard to take down. A friend gave me a tip to wax the connections to prevent them from sticking. Works. Bought my son a Simms this winter. Looks very nice and the length is adjustable. Very compact when folded up and in its holster.

Best is the Folstaff but the Simms is pretty good as well.

Check out Wally world for a collapsible hiking poll picked one up 4 years ago to replace sections of a fishpond that did not work properly. I think i spent like

Orvis wading staff is the best one I've used, great design. I highly recommend it.

I never worry about losing my wading staff:
stick_0.png

Mine is a bit more sophisticated than Jack's. ^

I have used a home made walking stick/wading staff for years made from a wooden dowel and using a bicycle handle and rubber bumper on the ends. It doesn't collapse, but is cheap and very durable.

Home made, yes, once I had forgotten mine and made one from a strong stick, tethered to my wading belt with strong string and carabiner. Made a notch in the stick with a pocket knife and tied the string around it, worked for the day

check out the Hammer's wading staff on Amazon. Less than $30 and holds up to me leaning 250 pounds on it.

I'm with Jack. wherever I'm at I grab a branch and use a piece of paracord and small carabiner that I keep in my pack to tether it to my wading belt. Then toss it when I'm done. Definitely the way to go when you're flying to a destination.

I did purchase the Folstaff wading stick. can anybody suggest a way to attach it to me so I don't drop it in the creek?

Thanks

After years of having a Folstaf dangling behind me in the water catching on anything & everything, I bought a couple of these:

http://www.orvis.com/p/gear-keeper-staff-tether/4p40

Gear Keeper makes the zinger for Orvis, which is a top-notch product with a TON of options. The Spectra cord inside is very strong and lasts longer than plastic coated steel cable.

I did a little searching a few years back and only Orvis had this particular version of Gear Keeper (with the Spectra cord, right cord length & spring tension) and clip attachment method which is why I only buy the Orvis versions.

To use it:

I uses the clip versus the screw-in pin and attach it to my wading belt on a simple knotted closed loop of paracord that I made. I thread the wading belt through the paracord loop and position it where I want it.

To attach the retractor to the wading staff, use the furnished detachable loop of cord with the Quick Connect clip that comes with it, and cow hitch that loop to the staff just under the handle.

The retractor & attachment method works like a charm for me!

BTW - DON'T cut-off the cord that comes with the Folstaf. Wrap it around the staff and secure it with O-rings, tape or something in the event the zinger ever craps out at an inopportune time. It can also act as an insurance policy if you are wading in a spot where you would be at risk if you lost your staff.

I have the Folstaf and don't like it much for following reasons:
1. The carbide/metal tip is always slipping on rocks and making a scraping noise that I am sure the fish can hear.
2. The cork handle always floats up and snags your line.
3. The bead on the end of the cord is a pain to get unhooked from your belt.
4. The rubber foot they sell falls off within a couple trips.

I now use and much prefer a homemade staff. It is a 1"x3/4"x5' long piece of redwood from a garden supply store. Added a cotton clothes line wrapping for a handle. Use a combination of a heave duty zinger and a detachable elastic net cord to hook it on my belt. A rubber furniture foot protects the end and makes it real quiet. It slips too but no scraping noise. Only bad thing about it is it does not fold up, but it floats flat on the water, follows along behind real nice and does not snag your line. Somewhat cheaper than the Folstaf too.

Back