Waders and Wading Boots

NickR

NickR

I blew through a pair of Simms Convertible waders and the Simms Rivertek Boa boots in less than one year. I do fish a LOT! I need something durable... between the boots and waders I spent 600.00. Are there more durable waders and boots out there that might hold up a bit better? Perhaps a pair of Patagonia's?

The problem with Simms is I don't think they make their gear for guys in Pennsylvania that are hiking mountain streams and such but for guys that sit in drift boats all day. Although I do feel Simms makes the best wading gear I have tried thus far. Does it get any better or will I most likely be forking out money every year for new boots and waders?

Nick,

I'm going to piggy back on your question. I'm looking for the best light weight wading boots.....emphasis on light weight. Looking forward to suggestions for both of us.

I'll answer both of your questions with the route I went. LL Bean Studded Ghost boots. I don't even know I have them on (Prof, you know I fish a lot) and Bean gives you a lifetime satisfaction guarantee. Boots run about $159 so they won't break the bank either. My one complaint so far is that the laces frayed in about a month. One email and I had a new set mailed to me and no cost. I was advised to make my own out of paracord and now I have two spare sets when these fray. The bottom of the boots and studs look almost new after about 3 months of heavy fishing.

I have a secondhand pair of well broken in Simms and my only complaint is that they don't tie down tight as I would like.

Do the LL Beans tigh up nice and tight? Or do you need a hockey skate lace took to snug um up?

They snug up fine for me. The one idea I stole from Fadeaway was to put small key rings down low on the laces so that the gravel guard hook can hook there instead of fraying the laces.

Wonders will never cease!!!!! You actually learned something from Fadeaway????? Are you talking about the L.L. Bean Gray Ghost? How did you size them? Same as shoe size? One up, etc?

Yes, I won't fish downstream (well maybe under the right circumstance) but his key ring idea was primo!

Yes, sorry Gray Ghost it is. I wear a size 8 shoe and that's the size 8 boot I got and it fits perfect. I had Cabelas boots and they were really broken in nice and the first day with the ghosts, I said crap I'm not gonna like these. But two days of wading and they broke in nice too.

Good enough for me. I'm getting them. The weight seems right, but always worry about size. See that they have a store in King of Prussia. Will call tomorrow to see if they stock them. Any good streams near King of Prussia?????

englishprof wrote:
Any good streams near King of Prussia?????

Darn, you may have to google that one. You do have to try them out somewhere though! :cool:

Oh, word of caution, the studs are super here in PA but remember not to use them in CA. You will skate on those granite rocks!

Fox - One thing I forgot to mention about using paracord for laces:

After a while, they get a bit stiff. You can fix that by hand washing in laundry detergent and rinsing with some fabric softener.

Darn things are almost indestructable though. Don't forget to melt the ends with a lighter, or they'll fray like crazy.

As the saying goes, you get what you pay for. Simms and Patagonia both make good wading gear. There was a time too that Bean made good waders, too. Since they discontinued the Wicked Toughs, I cannot get a pair of their waders to last more than 3 months. Yes, you can take advantage of Bean's guarantee and you will likely be swapping out those waders fairly often. Trust me, Simms makes waders for guys hiking it in and in every state. Just don't expect anything breathable to survive constant abuse from thorns and sharp rocks on a daily basis. In my experience, if you fish a lot, you will go through gear… even the good stuff!

"As the saying goes, you get what you pay for. Simms and Patagonia both make good wading gear. There was a time too that Bean made good waders, too. Since they discontinued the Wicked Toughs, I cannot get a pair of their waders to last more than 3 months. Yes, you can take advantage of Bean's guarantee and you will likely be swapping out those waders fairly often. Trust me, Simms makes waders for guys hiking it in and in every state. Just don't expect anything breathable to survive constant abuse from thorns and sharp rocks on a daily basis. In my experience, if you fish a lot, you will go through gear… even the good stuff!"

Yeah, I am thinking your right! From what I have seen there is no wader or boot built to last some of the guys who fish religiously. I am probably going to shell out money for waders every year or two.

For one, come to terms with the fact that no breathable wader is going to last forever. Thus, what we're really looking for is what gives you the most hours per dollar?

And that too varies. Are you a drift boat guy? A wader that fishes bigger water and is generally no more than a half mile of the car? Or a brookie fishermen that hikes and crawls over rock constantly while covering 6 miles in a day? I think the climbing is what hurts most, lifting those knees up high and stretching the material.

My take thus far, YMMV. Hodgeman's last me a year for about $100. I've gone through various Orvis and other "medium" priced waders since then. They last marginally longer, but they cost more too, and I'm still looking at roughly $100 a year for just about everything I've owned. I currently have LL Bean Rapid Rivers for $200. They sold me on the articulated knees, with the thought that maybe they will be stressed less with the climbing I do. If they go longer than 2 years it's a success, IMO.

I have no faith that spending $400 on upper brands like Simms are gonna get me 4+ years. Law of diminishing returns. If the articulated knees things doesn't work out I'll probably go back to yearly cheapo's.

My experience with boots is similar but the life expenctancy is a little better than the waders themselves.

I've used Simms studded felt wading boots for a few years and have been pretty satisfied with the performance on various surfaces. I need to replace them and have been looking around. Anyone have any experience with the Korkers with interchangeable soles ?

IMO the redington sonic pro waders are the best around. A plus for fishing in brush, is all the extra layering where it is needed, not just in the front of the legs. it covers practically to your waist the whole way around.

as for wading shoes, I go through a pair a year, sometimes I squeeze 1.5 yrs out of them. Most of my trips involve hike ins or alot of walking, especially out west. For this reason i wanted to find cheaper/lighter ones. I settled on the field and stream shoes sold at dicks sporting goods. They sell for 59.99 which is hard to beat. Like I said if I get a year or so out of them, I am happy. I have owned some that lasted 6 months. My buddy just bought the new redington skagit wading shoes with the sticky rubber, and I must say, they will be the replacements for my ones I wear now.

I own the Simms G3 convertible waders and RiverTek boots with the BOA. I think they are absolutely bulletproof. I wish they made Duckhunting waders still...

I have used high end Orvis, Cabelas, and now Simms waders. I like the Simms the best by far and I fish about 100 days a year.

I think Cabelas has the best return policy on Waders though.

korkers....hiked miles of the appliachian trail through shanandoah national park va. for 5 days, and that was 2 years ago. still got em, still top notch

Just an update on the Simms Boa boots and G3 Convertible waders that I sent in to be evaluated and repaired.

Simms replaced the boots and upgraded me to the Guide Boots. They also did major repairs on my waders... I cannot believe that they were actually able to repair the waders since they had so much damage but they held up pretty good for me this past weekend. I don't know how long the waders are going to hold up, maybe only through the winter.

I was going to advise that when you buy simms waders and register them with simms they send you an email at the end of the first year and will make any repairs free of charge, even rips.

Thanks Jdaddy, did not know that... they repaired the waders free of charge. I am okay with how it is working out.

Back