Wader Repair

MKern

MKern

Every time I fish with a particular friend something bad happens to me or my equipment: rod cracks, loose a lot of flies. This time was no different. My waders got a slice in the stocking material. but don't ask me how. The goudge is not completely throught, but is allows water to seep in.
Is there any way to fix them?
He told me to buy a special type of glue/epoxy. I thought of sewing the cut with heavy duty thread.

Also, do you guys think it is possible to turn thm into thigh-high waders by cutting them and stitching in a band of elastic?

A wader repair kit should be easy to find in just about any outdoors shop, and they are affordable as well. If the cut is not all the way through the waders, than rubber cement may patch the cut.

I would not stitch them, unless you know something I don't. I would expect that would just create a series of holes that would leak freely.

I think what your friend told you to buy was Aquaseal. About 5-7 bucks a tube. Follow the directions. Will seal that hole and stay flexible which is nice. Worth every penny and cheaper than new waders

Use the Aquaseal or go to a hardware store and pick up a tube of swimming pool liner repair glue. About half the price and seem to work just as well. Remember to patch your breathables from the inside out. (use the patch material on the inside)

If the tear is in the neoprene bootie you may have a greater challenge. If thats the case I'd stitch it tight and glue a tape seam to it.

For breathables, I use either aquasael or thinned sportsman goop...I like goop because you can thin it and apply along all seams to make a better seal..like sealing a tent..also save a piece of an old wader for patches, as for neo. I super glue a tear together then goop the inside and out along the tear to make water proof. some people just use the ca but i found it breaks down in water after a while and could leak again...for pinholes ca by its self is fine since the hole is so small..

I repaired the foot section of my neoprenes last spring using Aquaseal and I found a particular technique very successfull. When applying the aquaseal to both sides of the hole, place a piece of clear (packaging) tape to the repair. After its dry, you can either leave it there or it will peel off nicely leaving a flat flexible repair.

I like the Loon UV wader repair. It dries very quickly and I think it is easier than auquseal.

I would stitch the tear closed and then use the wader reapir on both sides of the stitch. I have done this type of repair several times on my own waders.

Back