Vintage gear question

Maurice

Maurice

Administrator
Staff member
I had a guy contact me with a bunch of vintage gear (not all fly gear) most of it is fiberglass spin rods from the 60's i recon some are flawless even the cork is clean and no blemishes. Garcias,shakespears, etc. but there were a few fiberglass fly rods and only one bamboo, a project rod. A 3 pc 9' rod with unvarnished wrappings that are coming loose. Lotz of tying gear and fly boxes , lures from the 60's, etc. i told him to put it through the auction house. They plan to put each piece up individually so i thought he might get the best deal that way.

Anyway a few things stuck out at me besides the boo rod. There were:

2 brand new looking Perrine fly boxes with clips one one side and bars on the other. And

2 small perrines also flawless.

In the ring of the rise - vince marinaro

And a couple unusual rods; a bamboo bass rod. Really old and a wooden handled baitcaster.

What are they worth?

Pics to come

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 16
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 4
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 4
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 4

In so far as I know, bamboo casting rods aren't usually worth anything.

Certain fiberglass rods, however, including some of the older Fenwicks, Cummingses, Phillipsons, and others can be worth quite a bit.

The lures can also be big ticket items. Especially if they come in boxes.

Gary, the lures were nothing special,,some older jutterbugs and plugs right in the age of the newer plastics beginning. Somebody went through this stuff, there had to be more.

The guy dies in 1999 at 86, Stopped fishing in 1989 they said but he had green weenies in his fly box. There was no prolific internet presence then, he was in the know based on what I saw. All his rods and reels were from the 70's and prior. I think grandma had the grandsons over and they took all the orvis rods and bamboo.

The Perrine boxes have gotten popular again I've seen some of them go around 40 bucks.

Vince's book may collect some good money too mo. Depending on edition up over 100 bux.

There are collector sites like the NFLCC. You can find tons of collectors and info online. Condition means everything, NIB is always best. Over the years I have learned that IF it was expensive when it was new, its IS expensive today. Quality comes at a price. Cheaper stuff seldom has a following.

Thanks for the info guys

I've been fishing the green weenie since 1985, so, depending who he fished with, it sounds reasonable. I know a few guys that look for older glass rods, cut them down and put new furrels on them. Their actions go from buggy-whip or broom stick to nice and smooth.

Looks like a few old bay rods for the salt,back in my day. Those show up a lot in seafood restaurants as decor. GG

Back