Versitex rods? Little Lehigh Fly Shop.

gfen

gfen

I'm looking for a slower action rod than the one I currently own, and I stopped into the LLFS to see what htey had.. They've got someone building rods for them on the Versitex blank, and I really liked it, but the price they were charging was significantly higher than what I wanted to spend (including the fact that I was prepared to pay more to support the little guy over a superstore).

So, has anyone here used a Versitex, or better yet, one of the models branded from the LLFS? I found myself really liking the rod, but it was definatly out of my ideal price range by a signifcant margin, including the premium I'm prepared to pay if I buy from a local, small, shop versus a superstore.

what are you looking to spend first off?

My ideal price range is below $150. Essentially, I'm eyeing up the St. Croix Triumph (100) and Reign lines (130). I'd also be willing to spend for a TFO Finesse (150) or Professional (170).

The Versitex was priced at $230 for a 2 piece, 8' 4wt. As I said, I was prepared to drop more than my initial range on the local premium, but that definatly exceded it.

I'm pretty sure I'd prefer a 7'6" rod, but don't find an 8' to be unreasonable (and probably better suited for overall use).

A 2 piece rod is enough, unless there's an advantage other than storage size, I don't require any more pieces. I no longer have to worry about stowing my rod in a little trunk..

I'm set on a 4wt. I have no desire to replace my reel, will probably do the bulk of my fishing on small streams and always preferred lighter tackle in spin fishing (why I bought a 4 last time instead of a 5).

My father bought a 5wt LLFS rod. I only casted it a few times but I liked it a lot. I am also a fan of slower action rods and this rod suited me well. He never uses it and I keep suggesting to him that he should sell it to me (cheap) but he hasn't budged yet.

cabelas makes some nice slow action rods.

cabelas PT rods

Spectorfly recent bought a really slow action rod on the net for 75 dollars. Its a really nice rod. You can PM him to see where and what he bought.

The best fly rod I own is my Versitex IGF-804G. I own several rods that cost over $600, so this is saying a lot. It is made from all Pac Bay components in Spring City PENNSYLVANIA, and has a lifetime warranty. My favorite hatch is the sulphur hatch, and when the fish are feeding on top, that is my rod of choice. The workmanship is flawless, and it casts like a dream. I've cast those other rods mentioned above - they're not in the same league as the Versitex.

Versitex isn't a household name among flyfishers, but it is among the high end deep sea rod crowd - they're one of the premier rods for that stuff.

http://versitex.com/versitex/home.html

FWIW - the closest thing to the Versitex IGF-804 that I've found is the Winston TMF 8' 4wt, and that goes for over $600. (I prefer the Versitex to my Winston TMF.)

I was given a versitex 3 wt when I started fishing. It's a great rod, the service is amazing (the've repaired it twice), and it's made in the town that my family is originally from. Can't go wrong with it.

I was doing some research, and had learned they were Pacific Bay blanks and that they, in turn, were well regarded.

I'm still planning on a stop at Cabela's this weekend, I'm hoping they'll let try some practice casts with a range of what they've got, but I don't know if they'll accomodate me, especially on a busy Sunday afternoon.

I also like the fact that its not only American made, but in the region of the state I reside.

Anyhow, the proof is in the casting, so we'll see what else is out there, but I do know I was able to reliably cast that Versitex even into the wind today, and it made me feel pretty good.

Its pretty, too.

i dont know if they will let you cast them either...but they should if they want to make a sale. Sounds like you might really like that rod. You should go for it !

gfen,

You can cast rods at Cabelas even on the weekends. However, they can only take you outside when there are two employees working in the fly shop. So I usually call ahead to confirm what times work best. Even if there aren't enough employees in the fly shop they can get someone from another area to just go out with you. Of course they probably won't be able to answer your questions.

gfen - That sounds like a smart move. The only suggestion I can offer is to take YOUR reel and line. Might as well find out how it'll work beforehand, and it'll give a good point of comparison. Good Luck - shopping for a new rod is tough work, but somebody's got to do it. ;-)

The TFO Professional series is the less expensive series and has a slightly faster action. The Finesse series is more of a traditional medium/medium-fast action rod with a nice green finish similar to a Winston green stick.

I have a 3 weight Professional series that I keep in my car as a spare. It is a nice rod and very fishable. My friend has the Finesse in 2, 4 and 6 weight. Personally I like the Finesse series better but for the money you won’t go wrong with either.

I was in Cableas last week, they have a new series of rods, TQR (Tight Quarters Rod). We went outside to try out a 7'6" 3wt. ...nice little rod for $119.00. To me the action was a mid-crisp, more on the mid side but a little fast.

The TQR was an olive type color. I can not figure out who made the blank. Winston and Hardy has rod that are really close in color.

Nice rod for the money.

Put the five rods through the paces today, Cabela's PT+, TFO Professional, Finese, and Series 1, and St Croix Triumph and Reign.

Brought home the Series 1, 4wt 8'. I seemed to cast the best with it on the grass, and it was very reasonably priced.

I don't think I liked it as much as the 2x the price Versitex, but I'll head over and have a castoff this weekend. I'm not against taking the TFO back for a refund, hell, I left the plastic on the cork for that reason.

And back the TFO goes... I tried out the TFO Series 1 versus the Versitex on the steam, no comparision.. the Veristex loads like a dream, feels like an extension of my arm, and I'm pretty sure that I am casting better (which isn't hard at this stage).

100% worth every damned penny I never expected to spend and then some.

gfen wrote:
And back the TFO goes... I tried out the TFO Series 1 versus the Versitex on the steam, no comparision.. the Veristex loads like a dream, feels like an extension of my arm, and I'm pretty sure that I am casting better (which isn't hard at this stage).

100% worth every damned penny I never expected to spend and then some.

Nine years ago, I paid $170 for my IGF-804. I still feel the same about it today, and even more so. That is my definition of money well spent. :cool:

I've got to get my versitex 3wt fixed. It's a dream to fish that thing with a foam ant on warm summer days. I caught a 16 inch rainbow once with it, and it's one of the few fish that I'll never forget. That thing was doubled over.

If u did not buy one I have 3wt for sell in swap forum
FC

gfen wrote:
.. the Veristex loads like a dream, feels like an extension of my arm, and I'm pretty sure that I am casting better (which isn't hard at this stage).....100% worth every damned penny I never expected to spend and then some.

Great!! When you find a rod like that, buy it!! I'm sure you'll enjoy fishing it for many years to come.

If you setteled for one of the rods you did feel comfortable with to save $50 or so, SAS within a year or so you would be looking to buy another rod. You paid a little more for the rod but actually saved yourself a couple hundred bucks! And more importantly, you decreased your frustration (with your casting) and increased your enjoyment of FF. That's the real bargain! Good luck with that rod.

Back