Trying to figure out the line weight for a older flyrod

tjsingle

tjsingle

Hey Everyone,

My dad has a fly rod he used in the 70s and 80s, and still likes to use it here and there now. The fly line is pretty beat on it put its held up now for over 15 years. He has a older Fenwick HMG 8'-6" 2 piece rod, with a Pflueger Medalist 1492 DA. He used it as a trout rod on smaller mountain streams.My guess was 4 or 5wt line, however I wasn't sure because the specs on the rod have long worn out, and he can't remember either. I wanted to get him some new fly line, and I wasn't sure if anyone could offer any insight into the appropriate weight for the rod and reel combo.

Thanks

Tom

http://www.common-cents.info

That's a good site that Albatross linked you to. All the same, it doesn't have to be that complex. If your Dad fished that rod with a 1492 DA and if that outfit was reasonably well balanced, the rod couldn't be rated any heavier than a 5 because that's the biggest line that could be spooled on e 1492 without backing, and even that would be a tight fit.

From that era, it’s probably a 5 or a 6, less likely it’s a 4 IMO. Throw another reel with a 5 weight line you have laying around on it and cast it. If it feels good and loads right, just fish it with 5wt line and don’t worry about it. If it feels under-loaded or overloaded at moderate distance (about 30 ft) adjust accordingly up or down a line weight and try it again. Whatever feels right to you, or better yet your Dad if he’s the one fishing it, that’s what you put on it.

Thanks Albatross and Rleep2 for the replies.

Yeah the 1492 is a small reel! I know the reel doesn't have any backing on it currently. I'm thinking that you are correct that about the rod being a 5wt, at biggest. The line that's one there now is in there pretty tight.

Swattie87 wrote:
From that era, it’s probably a 5 or a 6, less likely it’s a 4 IMO. Throw another reel with a 5 weight line you have laying around on it and cast it. If it feels good and loads right, just fish it with 5wt line and don’t worry about it. If it feels under-loaded or overloaded at moderate distance (about 30 ft) adjust accordingly up or down a line weight and try it again. Whatever feels right to you, or better yet your Dad if he’s the one fishing it, that’s what you put on it.

Yeah that sounds like a good approach, I will definitely try that out!

Back