Trolling motor question

J

JohnPowers

I recently came into a min Kota 30 motor. I guess I need a battery and charger. I’m clueless on this. Any recommendations? Just for pushing a 12 foot row boat in the tidal creek behind the house.

Yes you will need a 12 volt deep cycle battery. One with as many amp hours as you can afford. Yes you will need a battery charger.

Personally I don't think a 30lb thrust motor is going to be worth much in tidal water. I'd test it out when the incoming tide is pushing back against stream current. Take your oars with you.

I guess cabelas will have what I need. I live on Woodbury creek roughly between the airport and navy yard. We’ll just be behind the house a couple of hundred yards down toward the river at most. Trying to show my grandson that there is a world beyond his gadgets.
Thanks

I'm not familiar with the creek but that area has to have an 8 or 9 foot tide. I would be real careful with my timing for the first time out with that motor. Again, I don't think it will do much against a good current.

Be sure to get a deep cycle and not a starting battery. Deep cycles are designed to have a higher charge/discharge cycle. You will be draining that battery and charging it up a lot.

The tide off my dock routinely swings 6 feet. More recently. Looks like a river or a rivulet between mud banks. I tell my wife when I’m gone and she sells only show at high tide. I paddle my SOF kayak against the tide but it’s lots more fun riding down with the tide to a propositioned car with roof racks. Every spring there’s fish jumping activity I wonder if it’s shad who have taken a wrong turn.

Whatever you do. Do not and I repeat DO NOT buy a Wal-Mart battery.
The website talks warranty but the stores don't honor them

Based on the foot pounds of thrust, I presume this is a freshwater motor. If so,i it will require a thorough wash down with fresh water after each use. You may want to consider mounting a zinc anode to ensure the salt or brackish water is not corroding the motor. You can pick one up for less than $10.

All fresh water out back although the way they putz around with levels on the east and west branch that salt line could head upstream. Thanks on Walmart. I was looking there.

By the way that's a great area for cow stripers. I'd toss the 30lb electric and just take the kayak down to the river. Better yet get a 16' footer with a 25 hp which I may just have one for sale. I'm having a hard time parting with it though since my other boat is a far rougher ride on the big river. I've fished those flats many a times and your missing out on some prime fishing. My guess those fish jumping are the herring. They run up small creeks a lot.

I used to hunt n fish tidal creeks with a 6ft tidal variance.POOPDECK is right .Your trolling motor is too weak.Invest in a 20 to 35hp outboard...much safer
Tom

Back