Trip to Canada Questions

C

charliepff

Hi Everyone,

I am looking at taking a trip to Canada in late August. I was wondering if anyone out there had a portable fish finder. I wanted to get one for my pontoon, and since I am going up there now I really want to get one. Does anyone have a good review on a portable?

Also, what do I need to safeguard my leaders from the pike I will be casting for. Will a steal leader work with the fly rod?

Also, if anyone has a particular lodge they have been too let me know, we are still looking around.

Thanks everyone for your help.

you can use 20lb mono bite tippet for most pike. I have also used Sevenstrand 7x7 wire which you can tie a knot in. 15lb I think.

I have a brief one time experience fishing for pike in Canada with a fly rod. I bought a saltwater leader that was tipped with a length of wire bite tippet. It came with a few little metal sleeves that you could crimp on after passing it through the eye of the fly. I used a big popper and managed one small pike before being chased off the lake by a thunderstorm. After that it was back to bouncing jogs off the bottom for walleyes.

If you are fishing in a lake with a good pike population you will have no trouble catching them on any type of gear.

I do pretty well up there using TyGer Wire (https://www.tygerleader.com/).

don't forget to get a passport.

as for a leader, use 30 - 40 lb fluoro or titanium leader

Charlie - try one of these :

http://www.hodgesmarine.com/Humminbird-120-Fishin-Buddy-Reg-p/hum407120-1.htm?click=19

not cheap but completely portable and it has sideways sonar out to 120ft (depending on depth), which is very useful.

humming bird also do a float tube strap, which you should be able to strap to the pontoon float.

Thanks Geebee for the fish finder suggestion. There are so many out there it is ridiculous.

Thanks everyone for the leader suggestions. I think I am going to tie my own for when we go up. I might try the tiger wire too.

Back