The Chest Pack Saga

jbewley

jbewley

I wanted to cut back what I carry, so I decided to try a chest pack. Got the Fishpond Tumbleweed and although I really like it, I just couldn't cut back that far and feel comfortable on the stream. So I went back to my vest and found that I had too many empty pockets after my reduction efforts, so I needed something in the middle. With that in mind, I decided to give the Umpaqua Overlook 500 a shot. For those who have said they can't give up their vest, you might want to look at this chest pack. It will carry all I need and still not be heavy. The shoulder straps take the weigh off your neck and the pocket arrangement gives you more then enough places to stick "STUFF". It even has two built in, barbless hook, drying patches. The back has a pocket and hook for a net. I found that you need to put a wading jacket back there to balance the pack on the front. the hook for the net is lower, just below mid back, so using a cord/magnet set up, you can grab and return the net with ease. The very best part is when you bend over the net does not swing around and hit you in the head. :)

From all I have read here, it will be too big for some, but might be the ticket for others.

I got rid of my vest awhile back. I just hooked retractors to the straps of my Downstream chest box. I keep my Gink, nippers, hemostats, thermometer, tippet spool and leader straightener, all hooked on the straps of the box. It works well for me.

The only thing I find myself needing is my old hook-out tool on the rare occasion.

This pack has compression straps on the padded shoulder straps. I just learned that you can let them out and the pack will ride just above waist level which is handy. If you go deep they will raise the pack to chest level. I really like this thing.

Great pack. I've tried many and find this type with shoulder straps to be the most comfortable. It will accommodate all the stuff one would need for a day's fishing in cool comfort.
I have been rotating my pack and vest over many seasons, the vest in cool weather and pack in warmer months.
The Umpqua Overlook 500 carries everything that I need with comfort.

the only downfall of this pack, is why the heck did they put the clips on the back of the pack. its a pain in the butt to get it resnapped. its almost as if they never tried it on and tested it. im going to have my girlfriend sew it and put new clips in the front to make it a little easier.

otherwise it is the best chest pack i have bought.

I was going to do the same thing, but it is easy enough for me to just loosen the side straps, put it over my head and pull them tight again. My guess is, they thought pulling the straps forward to tighten was better then pulling to the rear.

I had a small problem with it wanting to sit low on my chest, but a pack-able rain jacket in the rear, balanced it up nicely.

interesting read...
I was dead set on the William joseph confluence and then saw the 500. now after reading this I am thinking twice about the purchase.
my main concern was the back. looks like there is no zipper pocket to put a fly box or rain jacket in.

Back