Sunglasses

S

sapper6

I wear glasses so one of my key pieces of equipment are my fitover polarized sunglasses. Recently I noticed that they were in pretty bad shape, probably because most of the time they are hanging around my neck and take a lot of abuse there.

I noticed the Cocoons ad on this site so I checked out there web site. The glasses I wanted were $68, including tax and shipping. That seemed a little pricey but sunglasses can be so I wasn't put off.

I figured I'd check out a local shop and see if they were cheaper there without the shipping charge. The local vendors are easy to find on the web site. Imagine how suprised I was when the optician said they were $25! They didn't have my exact model (I like amber lenses) but they put it right on order. At that price I almost felt like I should get two pair, one for the truck and one to hang with the vest!

I wear glasses too and never felt any desire to spring for a pair of polarized prescription glasses. I always got clipons from these guys:
http://www.polarizedoptics.com/

Dear sapper,

Do you ever get all sweaty and have your glasses steam up when wearing Cocoons or Fitovers?

I have a big fat head and I sweat a lot so I've always been afraid of fogging up my regular glasses when wearing something over them.

I've had polarized prescription glasses for about 15 years and I love them.

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

I've seen fitover polarized glasses at Kmart for $20. I thought about buying them, but like Tim, I figured tthey would get sweaty and steamed up in warm weather. I also think that rain would be a problem.
I wear 2x bifocals just for tying on flies - my distance vision is fine.
There are polarized bifocals available everywhere now - usually going for around $80.
However, I bought a pair from sierra trading post for $40 a few months ago, - and they are great

cocoons? They run about 40 bucks and I know a few people who have them and love them...one of them is a "fathead" too...

I just got my first pair of Rx glasses a month ago. With polarized fishing glasses in mind I found a pair of frames that came with polarized magnetic clip-ons! Have not fished with them yet but for driving they are great! If I find I don't like them for fishing I will get some fit-overs also. I'm concerned about not having side Shields or wrap arounds like I'm used to.

the pair I saw a t K-mart weren't cocoons, but they looked allright to me. even had the side shades

I finally broke down and bought a pair of Smith Optics RX Polarized Sunglasses. They were great. Although they seemed a little heavy in hand I had know problem last weekend while fishing 8 - 10 hours a day. I bought the bi focals and it was great not having to carry reading glasses so I could tie on the size 22 - 44 midges and Tricos I was fishing.
Great Glasses..
Bill A

i have clip-ons too, thanks pad for the site im going to see if i can get a dealership maybe. i also use side shields on my glasses a must to get rid of glare..used to buy them now make them out of old neoprene wader material..

Tim,
I get sweaty a lot! But I can't say that I've ever had a problem with fitovers fogging up on me. I suppose there is enough air flow around the lenses to prevent that.

I don't wear the clipons since I'm always worried about them scratching my glasses, although that probably isn't a real consideration. But with them you don't get side shields which come in handy every once in awhile, plus you have to put them someplace when you don't need them rather than just letting them hang.

All just personal preferences I'm sure.

sapper6

I was intrigued by the "yellow" polarized glasses on the site that Padraic posted. Good trout streams tend to be rather shady places and I'm always looking for maximum light transmission from my fishing shades.

Anyone ever use yellow polarized lenses?

Alb,

Once at the salmon river. A fishing buddy lent them to me for the weekend.

I liked them so much that I'm considering buying a good pair. My old oakleys are pretty dark and starting to get scratched after 5 years.

They seemed to "light up" the water, and fish were much easier to see. I think that you should own multiple shades for specific colored streams, but it gets expensive.

I had a pair of yellow lens Smith Optics and lost them during a recent move...boy do I miss them. They would lighten up any low light situation...cloudy, evening, shady.

Albatross,
I concur with jayl and David. I decided to wait for my "amber" lenses because I think they do better in low light conditions than the typical gray lenses that were available off the shelf. For years amber has been the color of choice for shooting sports so there must be something to it.

I also recommend the yellow lenses. I have a pair of Smiths that I picked up on ebay for under $30. They are great under all kinds of light conditions.
They are great to wear while driving in the rain as well. They really do allow me to see better than without them. I don't know if it is the polarization but they cut out alot of the fine mist which can create that sort of cloudy effect from the cars in front of you.

Give them a try. I'm sure you'll like them.

Back