South Bend 24

FarmerDave

FarmerDave

I was in an antique store on Saturday and spotted an aluminum rod tube leaning in the corner.

Turned out to be a South Bend model 24 in it's original rod sock and tube. 3 piece with extra rip. probably 9 foot, and all pieces same length.

I didn't take it completely out, but far enough to see it had the black plastic reel seat, making it no older than 1950s and that it seemed to be in decent shape.

I think they had it marked $195, and I put it back for a few reasons.

1. I am not a fan of South Bend ferrules.
2. I have rods that I haven't used.
3. I'm a cheap bastage,
4. and I think it was WAY overpriced.

But I got to thinking. What weight would that rod be (modern lines)?

Does anyone here have one, and if so, how do you like it?

Wife likes antique shops, so while she is looking around, I look around for old tools and fly rods.

Thee were also a couple fiberglass rods at this place, but nothing I was interested in.

9' bamboo rods are generally heavy. Shorter boo's are more desirable. And I don't think South Bend's are on anyone's most wanted list. I wouldn't pay anything near their asking price. Typical in an antique shop. They see boo rods fetch high prices on the web, but they don't have a clue regarding which ones are worth money.

A South Bend 24 was advertised as a single-built "bass/steelhead rod".

The 8'6" weighs 5.25 oz., the 9"0" weighs 6.5 oz. and the 9'6" weighs 6.75 oz.

The 8'6" & 9' rods were rated for a HCH line (DT7) while the 9'6 was rated for a GBG (DT8).

I don't own one and never fished one but from its description it appears to be a bruiser of a rod.

I agree with that. If they had it listed for $50, or even $75, I might have made an offer with the intent of cleaning them up a little bit and resell. But I figured that no way was it worth over $100, and certainly not $195. But then, I haven't kept up with the prices.

I have owned a couple Shakespear SpringBrooks (still have 1), which were made by South Bend and looked very similar. They are about 7 or 8 weight. I was thinking the SB 24 was likely similar.

Some guys on here know the SB numbering, and I think two digit means something. Three digit starting with a 1, 2, or 3 also mean something. I was just too lazy to look it up.

FarmerDave wrote:
I agree with that. If they had it listed for $50, or even $75, I might have made an offer with the intent of cleaning them up a little bit and resell. But I figured that no way was it worth over $100, and certainly not $195. But then, I haven't kept up with the prices.

On a great day in mint condition someone might pay the asking price. On most other days $60 - $100 will get you one on eBay.

Thanks

I have since looked it up and it's a bass taper, so likely very similar to my old SpringBrook.

link

Not interested at that price.

SB 24 was their top of the line so bamboo, taper and components are high quality. At classic FR Forum the authorities say around $100 if in sound fishable condition. All parts full length. The 8.5 foot maybe bring a little more than 9 footer due to less weight. Would be nice rod for big water early season. Penns in March April may for instance. The economy is improving. Guessing soon these rods will be $200 or more.

Back